Long term evaluation of electromechanical delay in patients with atrial septal defect after transcatheter closure
- 23 Downloads
Some studies have been showed that electromechanical delay, which may pose an increased tendency to atrial fibrillation, may prolong in patients with various clinical conditions. In addition, the electromechanical delay in patients with secundum type atrial septal defect (ASD) compared to healthy people have been reported previously. Therefore, in the present study, we prospectively evaluated the mid-term and long-term effects of the transcatheter closure of secundum type ASD on the lateral atrial conduction time (PA), septal PA, tricuspid PA, left and right intra-atrial electromechanical delay (ILeft-EMD and IRight-EMD, respectively) and inter-atrial electromechanical delay (IA-EMD) measured by means of Doppler echocardiography. Our prospective study included a total of 45 secundum type ASD patients who undergone percutaneous transcatheter closure from December 2012 to April 2015. All patients underwent transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) before the closure, at sixth and twelfth months after the closure. In comparison of the EMD sixth months after the device closure, there were statistically significant decrease in lateral PA, septal PA, tricuspid PA, ILeft-EMD, IRight-EMD and IA-EMD compared to pre-device closure values. Twelfth months after the device closure, we also observed statistically significant decrease in lateral PA, septal PA, tricuspid PA, ILeft-EMD, IRight-EMD and IA-EMD compared to 6-month post-device closure values. In the present study, we observed that the atrial EMD improves after device closure and continues to improve after twelfth month following post-device closure.
KeywordsAtrial conduction time Doppler echocardiography Secundum type of atrial septal defect
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they do not have any conflicts of interest.
- 1.Abd El Rahman MY, Hui W, Timme J, Ewert P, Berger F, Dsebissowa F, Hetzer R, Lange PE, Abdul-Khaliq H (2005) Analysis of atrial and ventricular performance by tissue Doppler imaging in patients with atrial septal defects before and after surgical and catheter closure. Echocardiography 22(7):579–585CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cagdas M, Velibey Y, Guvenc TS, Gungor B, Guzelburc O, Calik N, Ugur M, Tekkesin AI, Gurkan K, Eren M (2015) Evaluation of atrial electromechanical conduction delay in case of hemodynamically insignificant rheumatic heart disease: a tissue Doppler study. Cardiol J 22(6):683–690CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lang RM1, Bierig M, Devereux RB, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Pellikka PA, Picard MH, Roman MJ, Seward J, Shanewise JS, Solomon SD, Spencer KT, Sutton MS, Stewart WJ, Chamber Quantification Writing Group; American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines and Standards Committee; European Association of Echocardiography (2005) Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18(12):1440–1463CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rudski LG, Lai WW, Afilalo J, Hua L, Handschumacher MD, Chandrasekaran K, Solomon SD, Louie EK, Schiller NB (2010) Guidelines for the echocardiographic assessment of the right heart in adults: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography endorsed by the European Association of Echocardiography, a registered branch of the European Society of Cardiology, and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 23(7):685–713CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Kaya Y, Yurtdaş M, Ceylan Y, Bulut MO, Söylemez N, Güvenç TS, Karakurt A, Akdemir R, Öztürk H, Güneş Y, Balcı B, Özkan M (2013) Erişkin ve çocuklardaki sekundum tip atriyal septal defektlerin perkütan yaklaşım ile kapatılması: Kısa – orta dönem izlem sonuçlarımız. Türk Kardiyol Dern Arş 41(8):705–713CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Balcı KG, Balcı MM, Aksoy MM, Yılmaz S, Aytürk M, Doğan M, Yeter E, Akdemir R (2015) Remodeling process in right and left ventricle after percutaneous atrial septal defect closure in adult patients. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 43(3):250–258Google Scholar
- 27.Aslan M, Erturk M, Turen S, Uzun F, Surgit O, Ozbay Ozyilmaz S, Rifat Yildirim M, Faruk Baycan O, Uygur B, Yildirim A, Eksik A (2014) Effects of percutaneous closure of atrial septal defect on left atrial mechanical and conduction functions. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 15(10):1117–1124CrossRefGoogle Scholar