Right heart chamber geometry and tricuspid annulus morphology in patients undergoing mitral valve repair with and without tricuspid valve annuloplasty
- 407 Downloads
According to current recommendations, patients could benefit from tricuspid valve (TV) annuloplasty at the time mitral valve (MV) surgery if tricuspid regurgitation is severe or if tricuspid annulus (TA) dilatation is present. Therefore, an accurate pre-operative echocardiographic study is mandatory for left but also for right cardiac structures. Aims of this study are to assess right atrial (RA), right ventricular (RV) and TA geometry and function in patients undergoing MV repair without or with TV annuloplasty. We studied 103 patients undergoing MV surgery without (G1: 54 cases) or with (G2: 49 cases) concomitant TV annuloplasty and 40 healthy subjects (NL) as controls. RA, RV and TA were evaluated by three-dimensional (3D) transthoracic echocardiography. Comparing the pathological to the NL group, TA parameters and 3D right chamber volumes were significantly larger. RA and RV ejection fraction and TA% reduction were lower in pathological versus NL, and in G2 versus G1. In pathological patients, TA area positively correlated to systolic pulmonary pressure and negatively with RV and RA ejection fraction. Patients undergoing MV surgery and TV annuloplasty had an increased TA dimensions and a more advanced remodeling of right heart chambers probably reflecting an advanced stage of the disease.
KeywordsEchocardiography Tricuspid regurgitation Tricuspid valve repair Cardiac surgery
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.Neuhold S, Huelsmann M, Pernicka E, Graf A, Bonderman D, Adlbrecht C, Binder T, Maurer G, Pacher R, Mascherbauer J (2013) Impact of tricuspid regurgitation on survival in patients with chronic heart failure: unexpected findings of a long-term observational study. Eur Heart J 34(11):844–852CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Nishimura RA, Otto CM, Bonow RO, Carabello BA, Erwin JP 3rd, Guyton RA, O’Gara PT, Ruiz CE, Skubas NJ, Sorajja P, Sundt TM 3rd, Thomas JD, American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (2014) 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 63(22):57–185CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Fukuda S, Saracino G, Matsumura Y, Daimon M, Tran H, Greenberg NL, Hozumi T, Yoshikawa J, Thomas JD, Shiota T (2006) Three-dimensional geometry of the tricuspid annulus in healthy subjects and in patients with functional tricuspid regurgitation: a real-time, 3-dimensional echocardiographic study. Circulation 114(1 Suppl):I492–I498PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Tamborini G, Brusoni D, Torres Molina JE, Galli CA, Maltagliati A, Muratori M, Susini F, Colombo C, Maffessanti F, Pepi M (2008) Feasibility of a new generation three-dimensional echocardiography for right ventricular volumetric and functional measurements. Am J Cardiol 102(4):499–505CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Tamborini G, Marsan NA, Gripari P, Maffessanti F, Brusoni D, Muratori M, Caiani EG, Fiorentini C, Pepi M (2010) Reference values for right ventricular volumes and ejection fraction with real-time three-dimensional echocardiography: evaluation in a large series of normal subjects. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 23(2):109–115CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Maffessanti F, Muraru D, Esposito R, Gripari P, Ermacora D, Santoro C, Tamborini G, Galderisi M, Pepi M, Badano LP (2013) Age-, body size-, and sex-specific reference values for right ventricular volumes and ejection fraction by three-dimensional echocardiography: a multicenter echocardiographic study in 507 healthy volunteers. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 6(5):700–710CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Kawut SM, Lima JA, Barr RG, Chahal H, Jain A, Tandri H, Praestgaard A, Bagiella E, Kizer JR, Johnson WC, Kronmal RA, Bluemke DA (2011) Sex and race differences in right ventricular structure and function: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis-right ventricle study. Circulation 123(22):2542–2551CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Niemann PS, Pinho L, Balbach T, Galuschky C, Blankenhagen M, Silberbach M, Broberg C, Jerosch-Herold M, Sahn DJ (2007) Anatomically oriented right ventricular volume measurements with dynamic three-dimensional echocardiography validated by 3-Tesla magnetic resonance imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 50(17):1668–1676CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Tamborini G, Muratori M, Maltagliati A, Galli CA, Naliato M, Zanobini M, Alamanni F, Salvi L, Sisillo E, Fiorentini C, Pepi M (2010) Pre-operative transthoracic real-time three-dimensional echocardiography in patients undergoing mitral valve repair: accuracy in cases with simple vs. complex prolapse lesions. Eur J Echocardiogr 11(9):778–785CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar