Aortic valve area assessed with 320-detector computed tomography: comparison with transthoracic echocardiography
- 302 Downloads
To evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of aortic valve area (AVA) assessment with 320-detector Computed Tomography (MDCT) compared to transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) in a population with mild to severe aortic valve stenosis. AVA was estimated in 169 patients by planimetry on MDCT images (AVAMDCT) and by the continuity equation with TTE (AVATTE). To generate a reference AVA (AVAREF) we used the stroke volume from MDCT divided by the velocity time integral from CW Doppler by TTE (according to the continuity equation: stroke volume in LVOT = stroke volume passing the aortic valve). AVAREF was used as the reference to compare both measures against, since it bypasses the assumption of LVOT being circular in the continuity equation and the potential placement error of PW Doppler in the LVOT. The mean (±SD) age of the patients was 71 (±9) years, 113 (67 %) were males. Mean AVATTE was 0.93 (±0.33) cm2, mean AVAMDCT was 0.99 (±0.36) cm2 and mean AVAREF was 1.00 (±0.39) cm2. The mean difference between AVATTE and AVAMDCT was −0.06 cm2, p = 0.001, mean difference between AVATTE and AVAREF was −0.06 cm2, p < 0.001, and mean difference between AVAMDCT and AVAREF was −0.01 cm2, p = 0.60. Calcification of the aortic valve quantified by Agatston score, significantly decreased the correlation between AVAMDCT and AVAREF, (r low Agatston = 0.90, r high Agatston = 0.57). MDCT measured AVA is slightly larger than AVA measured by TTE (0.06 cm2). The accuracy and precision errors on AVA measurements are comparable for MDCT and TTE. Valvular calcification may primarily affect the accuracy of AVAMDCT.
KeywordsAortic valve area Multi-detector computed tomography 320-Detector computed tomography Transthoracic echocardiography Aortic valve stenosis Aortic valve calcification
Multi-detector computed tomography
Transcatheter aortic valve implantation
Aortic valve area
Beats per minute
Left ventricular outflow tract
Velocity time integral
Limits of agreement
This work was supported by The Danish Heart Association, Tove and John Girotti’s Fond, and the A.P Møller and wife Chastine McKinney Møllers Foundation, Denmark.
Conflict of interest
Dr. Kofoed has received lecture fees from the Toshiba Medical Systems Corporation.
- 1.Vahanian A, Alfieri O, Andreotti F, Antunes MJ, Baron-Esquivias G, Baumgartner H et al (2012) Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012): The Joint Task Force on the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:2451–2496Google Scholar
- 8.Tanaka H, Shimada K, Yoshida K, Jissho S, Yoshikawa J, Yoshiyama M (2007) The simultaneous assessment of aortic valve area and coronary artery stenosis using 16-slice multidetector-row computed tomography in patients with aortic stenosis comparison with echocardiography. Circ J 71(10):1593–1598PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Lembcke A, Thiele H, Lachnitt A, Enzweiler CN, Wagner M, Hein PA et al (2008) Precision of forty slice spiral computed tomography for quantifying aortic valve stenosis: comparison with echocardiography and validation against cardiac catheterization. Invest Radiol 43(10):719–728PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lembcke A, Kivelitz DE, Borges AC, Lachnitt A, Hein PA, Dohmen PM et al (2009) Quantification of aortic valve stenosis: head-to-head comparison of 64-slice spiral computed tomography with transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography and cardiac catheterization. Invest Radiol 44(1):7–14PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Halpern EJ, Mallya R, Sewell M, Shulman M, Zwas DR (2009) Differences in aortic valve area measured with CT planimetry and echocardiography (continuity equation) are related to divergent estimates of left ventricular outflow tract area. AJR Am J Roentgenol 192(6):1668–1673PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mizia-Stec K, Pysz P, Jasinski M, Adamczyk T, Drzewiecka-Gerber A, Chmiel A et al (2012) Preoperative quantification of aortic valve stenosis: comparison of 64-slice computed tomography with transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography and size of implanted prosthesis. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 28(2):343–352PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Lembcke A, Woinke M, Borges AC, Dohmen PM, Lachnitt A, Westermann Y et al (2009) Grading of aortic valve stenosis at 64-slice spiral computed tomography: comparison with transthoracic echocardiography and calibration against cardiac catheterization. Invest Radiol 44(6):360–368PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Shah RG, Novaro GM, Blandon RJ, Whiteman MS, Asher CR, Kirsch J (2009) Aortic valve area: meta-analysis of diagnostic performance of multi-detector computed tomography for aortic valve area measurements as compared to transthoracic echocardiography. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 25(6):601–609PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar