History of diabetes mellitus and the risk of prostate cancer: the Ohsaki Cohort Study
- First Online:
The association between diabetes mellitus and the risk of prostate cancer has been tested in previous prospective cohort studies in western populations. However, no evidence from cohort studies is available for Asian populations, whose lifestyle is very different from that of westerners.
The authors examined the relationship between diabetes mellitus and the risk of prostate cancer in the Ohsaki cohort followed from 1995 to 2003, in which 230 new cases of prostate cancer were identified among 22,458 Japanese men. Baseline information including diabetes mellitus status was collected using a self-administered questionnaire. The Cox proportional hazards regression model was used to estimate hazard ratios (HRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).
Although a history of diabetes mellitus was not associated with the risk of total prostate cancer in this population, after stratification based on the clinical stage of prostate cancer, patients with diabetes mellitus showed a higher risk of advanced prostate cancer with a multivariate adjusted HR = 1.89 (95% CI: 1.02–3.50). The relationship remained robust when we excluded from the analysis cases arising in the first 2 years.
This population-based prospective cohort study indicates that a history of diabetes mellitus is associated with an increased incidence of advanced prostate cancer.
KeywordsDiabetes mellitus Japan Prospective studies Prostatic neoplasms Incidence
Body mass index.
National health insurance
Prostate specific antigen
- 5.The Editorial Board of the Cancer Statistics in Japan (2005) Cancer Statistics in Japan edition. Foundation for Promotion of Cancer Research, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 10.Calton BA, Chang SC, Wright ME, Kipnis V, Lawson K, Thompson FE, Subar AF, Mouw T, Campbell DS, Hurwitz P, Hollenbeck A, Schatzkin A et al (2007) History of diabetes mellitus and subsequent prostate cancer risk in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Cancer Causes Control 18:493–503CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Leitzmann MF, Ahn J, Albanes D, Hsing AW, Schatzkin A, Chang SC, Huang WY, Weiss JM, Danforth KN, Grubb RL III, Andriole GL (2008) Diabetes mellitus and prostate cancer risk in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial. Cancer Causes Control 19:1267–1276CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Tsuji I, Nishino Y, Ohkubo T, Kuwahara A, Ogawa K, Watanabe Y, Tsubono Y, Bando T, Kanemura S, Izumi Y, Sasaki A, Fukao A et al (1998) A prospective cohort study on National Health Insurance beneficiaries in Ohsaki, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan: study design, profiles of the subjects and medical cost during the first year. J Epidemiol 8:258–263PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Takano A, Okuno Y (1997) Japan, Miyagi Prefecture. In: Parkin DM, Whelan SL, Ferlay J, Raymond L, Young J (eds) Cancer incidence in five continents, vol. 7. IARC Sci Publ., Paris, pp 386–389Google Scholar
- 27.Percy C, Holton VV (1990) International classification of diseases for oncology, 2nd edn. World Health Organization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 30.Roddam AW, Allen NE, Appleby P, Key TJ, Ferrucci L, Carter HB, Metter EJ, Chen C, Weiss NS, Fitzpatrick A, Hsing AW, Lacey JV Jr et al (2008) Insulin-like growth factors, their binding proteins, and prostate cancer risk: analysis of individual patient data from 12 prospective studies. Ann Intern Med 149(461–471):W83–W88Google Scholar