Moderation as a Moral Competence: Integrating Perspectives for a Better Understanding of Temperance in the Workplace
- 137 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the virtue of temperance as a moral competence in professional performance. The analysis relies on three different streams of literature: virtue ethics, positive psychology and competency-based management. The paper analyzes how temperance is defined in each of these perspectives. The paper proposes an integrative definition of temperance as “moral competence” and summarizes behaviors in business environments in which temperance plays a role.
KeywordsTemperance Moderation Virtue ethics Positive psychology Competency-based management Moral competences
The authors would like to acknowledge the support of IESE’s Center for Business and Society.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Research involving Human Participants and/or Animals
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Alles, M. A. (2005). Diccionario de comportamientos. Gestión por competencias. Buenos Aires: Granica.Google Scholar
- Aquinas, T. (1981). . In Summa Theologica. London: Burns Oates and Washbourne.Google Scholar
- Aristotle (1998). The Nicomachean Ethics. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- BBC (2010a). Tiger Woods makes emotional apology for infidelity. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/8521060.stm.
- Belenky, S. (2012). David Petraeus resigns as CIA Director, citing extramarital affair. The Huffington Post. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/david-petraeus-resigns-cia-director-affair_n_2103094.html.
- Boyatzis, R. E. (1982). The competent manager. A model for effective performance. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Buck, T. (2014). ‘Phantom’ credit card scandal haunts Spanish elite. Financial Times. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from https://next.ft.com/content/7ffee29a-4ede-11e4-b205-00144feab7de.
- Burgen, S. (2014). Former Caja Madrid directors accused of misusing company credit card. The Guardian. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/09/former-caja-directors-accused-credit-card-misuse-bankia.
- Cardona, P., & García-Lombardía, P. (2005). How to develop leadership competencies. Navarra: EUNSA.Google Scholar
- Cheetham, G., & Chivers, G. (2005). Professions, competence and informal learning. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Cicero, M. T. (1887). De Officiis. Boston: Little, Brown, And Company.Google Scholar
- Dobson, J. (1997). Virtue ethics as a foundation for business ethics: A “MacIntyre-Based” critique. Retrieved April 1, 2017 from https://www.stthomas.edu/media/catholicstudies/center/ryan/conferences/1997-antwerp/JohnDobson.pdf.
- Foot, P. (1978). Virtues and vices and other essays in moral philosophy. Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Goleman, D. (1998). Working with emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books.Google Scholar
- Goleman, D. (2002). Primal leadership: Realizing the power of emotional intelligence. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Harris, E. A., & Greenhouse, S. (2014, Jun 26). The road to Dov Charney’s Ouster at American apparel. The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/business/road-to-dov-charneys-ouster-at-american-apparel.html.
- Kapner, S. (2002). 5 Bankers fired from barclays over $62,700 Spent at Meal. The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/26/business/5-bankers-fired-from-barclays-over-62700-spent-at-meal.html.
- Langley, A. (1995). Between paralysis by analysis and extinction by instinct. Sloan Management Review, 36(3), 63–76.Google Scholar
- Lennick, D., & Kiel, F. (2015). Moral Intelligence 2.0. Crawfordsville: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Leonard, T. (2008, Feb 25). Jordan belfort: Confessions of the Wolf of Wall Street. The Telegraph. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/bernard-madoff/4988167/Bernard-Madoffs-830m-lavish-lifestyle-revealed.html.
- Lovelace, B. (2017). The head of the Federal Reserve believes opioid abuse could be holding back the US economy. CNBC. Retrieved July 23, 2017 from https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/13/feds-yellen-believes-opioid-abuse-holding-back-the-us-economy.html.
- MacIntyre, A. (1981). After virtue: A study in moral theory. South Bend, IN: University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Maritain, J. (1951). Man and the state. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Matthews, C., & Gandel, S. (2015). The 5 Biggest Corporate Scandals of 2015. Fortune. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://fortune.com/2015/12/27/biggest-corporate-scandals-2015/.
- Melé, D. (2012). Management ethics. Placing ethics at the core of good management. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, IESE Business Collection.Google Scholar
- Morales-Sánchez, R., & Cabello-Medina, C. (2015). Integrating character in management: virtues, character strengths, and competencies. Business Ethics: A European Review, 24(S1), 56–74.Google Scholar
- Mount, I. (2017). Ex-IMF chief sentenced over Bankia card scandal. Financial Times. Retrieved April 17, 2017 from https://www.ft.com/content/7f93082e-f9ed-11e6-bd4e-68d53499ed71.
- Mundy, L. (2008). When Michelle Met Barack. The Washington Post. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/10/03/ST2008100302144.html.
- Pesta, A. (2013). Melinda Gates on her life with the richest man in the world. The Telegraph. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10457841/Melinda-Gates-on-her-life-with-the-richest-man-in-the-world.html.
- Peterson, C., & Seligman, M. E. P. (2004). Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Philipps, D. (2016). Wounded Warrior Project Spends Lavishly on Itself, Insiders Say. The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/us/wounded-warrior-project-spends-lavishly-on-itself-ex-employees-say.html?_r=1.
- Pieper, J. (1976). Las virtudes fundamentales. Madrid: Rialp.Google Scholar
- Plato (2009). Republic. Waiheke Island: The Floating Press.Google Scholar
- Quinn, J. (2009). Bernard Madoff’s $830 m ‘lavish lifestyle’ revealed. The Telegraph. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/bernard-madoff/4988167/Bernard-Madoffs-830m-lavish-lifestyle-revealed.html.
- Ratnam, G. (2012). Lockheed’s Incoming CEO Kubasik Quits After Relationship. Bloomberg. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-11-09/lockheed-s-kubasik-slated-next-ceo-resigns-over-relationship.
- Reddy, S., & Davis, B. (2011). IMF Director Resigns, Denying Allegations. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703509104576331623409445148.
- Reuters (2011). Wife Says She and Madoff Tried Suicide. The New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/business/wife-says-she-and-madoff-tried-suicide.html.
- Robson, A. (2015). Constancy and integrity: (un)measurable virtues? Business Ethics: A European Review, 24(S1), 15–29.Google Scholar
- Russell, J. J. (1999). Business, Red McCombs. Texas Monthly. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/business-%E2%80%A2-red-mccombs/.
- Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive Psychology: An Introduction. American Psychological Association, Inc.Google Scholar
- Seneca, L. A. (2009). On the shortness of life and on the happy life. Manchester, NH: Abbot ePublishing.Google Scholar
- Sison, A. J. (2015). Happiness and virtue ethics in business. The ultimate value proposition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Spencer, L. M., & Spencer, S. M. (1993). Competence at work: Models for superior performance. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Walters, J. (2016). Drug company boss Martin Shkreli refuses to testify to Congress. The Guardian. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/04/martin-shkreli-refuses-to-testify-congress-drug-daraprim.
- Weber, M. (2001). . In The protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Williams, M. (2012). Dominique Strauss-Kahn settles sexual assault case with hotel maid. The Guardian. Retrieved July 1, 2016 from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/dec/10/dominique-strauss-kahn-case-settled.