From a sociological and anthropological viewpoint, the ability of complete strangers to carry out transactions that involve significant risk to one or both parties should be complicated by a lack of trust. Yet the rise of e-commerce and “sharing economy” platforms suggests that concerns that seemed prevalent only a few decades ago have been largely assuaged. What mechanisms have been used to facilitate trust between strangers online? Can we measure the extent to which users trust each other when interacting online? This article reviews the existing literature on cyber trust and proposes directions for further research.
KeywordsTrust Online reviews E-commerce Sharing economy Cyber
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
Amitai Etzioni declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Aibnb. (2017a). Does Airbnb perform background checks on members? Accessed January 19, 2017. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1308/does-airbnb-perform-background-checks-on-members.
- Airbnb. (2017b). How do star ratings work? Accessed January 19, 2017. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1257/how-do-star-ratings-work.
- Airbnb blog. (2017). Building trust with a new review system. Accessed January 19, 2017. http://blog.airbnb.com/building-trust-new-review-system/.
- Airbnb Citizen. (2017). Airbnb’s 2016 highlights and 2017 trends we’re watching. January 3. https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/airbnbs-2016-highlights-and-2017-trends-were-watching/.
- Arrow, K. (1995). Political and economic evaluation of social effects and externalities. In The analysis of public output, National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- BBC News. (2008). eBay to ban negative seller views. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7228460.stm.
- Bensinger, G. (2017). Lyft’s ridership reaches 52.6 million in fourth quarter. The Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/lyfts-ridership-reaches-52-6-million-in-fourth-quarter-1483585738?mg=prod/accounts-wsj
- Bort, J. (2014). Airbnb Host: A guest is squatting in my condo and i can’t get him to leave. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/airbnb-host-cant-get-squatter-to-leave-2014-7.
- Cassidy, M. (2015). Survey: Amazon is burying the competition in search. Bloomreach, October 6, 2015. http://bloomreach.com/2015/10/survey-amazon-is-burying-the-competiton-in-search/.
- Chafkin, M., & Newcomer, E. (2016). Airbnb now has 100 million users and more grown-up problems. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-11/airbnb-faces-growing-pains-as-it-passes-100-million-users.
- Chen, B. (2017). The guide to being an Airbnb superhost. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/technology/personaltech/the-guide-to-being-an-airbnb-superhost.html.
- Cook, J. (2015). Uber’s internal charts show how its driver-rating system actually works. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/leaked-charts-show-how-ubers-driver-rating-system-works-2015-2.
- Dave, P. (2016). California Supreme Court votes to review a libel case over negative Yelp reviews. Los Angeles Times http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-yelp-ava-bird-20160921-snap-story.html.
- Dellarocas, C. (2006). Reputation mechanisms. In T. Hendershott (Ed.), Handbook on Economics and Information Systems (pp. 629–660). Bingley: Emerald.Google Scholar
- Dembosky, A. (2011). Airbnb launches $50,000 guarantee. The Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/b2c8284e-c75f-11e0-9cac-00144feabdc0.
- Dickson, P. G. M. (1993). The financial revolution in England: A study in the development of public credit. Aldershot: Gregg Revivals.Google Scholar
- eBay Corporate Fact Sheet (2015). Accessed March 3, 2015. https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-corporate-fact-sheet/.
- eBay website. (2017a). Confirming your identity. Accessed January 19, 2017 http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/contextual/identity-verification.html.
- eBay website. (2017b). How feedback works. Accessed January 19, 2017. http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/howitworks.html.
- eBay website. (2017c). What’s a PowerSeller. Accessed January 19, 2017. http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/grow-your-business/power-seller.html.
- Edelman, B.G., Luca, M., & Svirsky, D. (2016). Racial discrimination in the sharing economy: evidence from a field experiment. Harvard Business School Working Paper 16-069.Google Scholar
- Einav, L., Farronato, C., Levin, J., & Sundaresan, N. (2016). Auctions versus posted prices in online markets. Working paper, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Etzioni, A. (2011). Privacy merchants: What is to be done? The University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, 14(4), 929–951.Google Scholar
- Federal Trade Commission. (2015). FTC approves final order in TRUSTe privacy case. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/03/ftc-approves-final-order-truste-privacy-case.
- Federal Trade Commission Complaint 1323219. In the Matter of True Ultimate Standards Everywhere, Inc., a corporation, d/b/a TRUSTe, Inc. https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/141117trustecmpt.pdf.
- Federal Trade Commission v. ControlScan, Inc. United States District Court Northern District of Georgia. (2010). https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2010/02/online-privacy-security-certification-service-settles-ftc-charges.
- Fukuyama, F. (1995). Trust: The social virtues and the creation of prosperity. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Ge, Y., Knittel, C. R., MacKenzie, D., & Zoepf, S. (2016). Racial and gender discrimination in transportation network companies. No. w22776. National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Giddens, A. (1991). Modernity and self-identity: Self and society in the late modern age. Redwood City, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Gretzel, U., & Yoo, K. H. (2008). Use and impact of online travel reviews. In P. O’Connor, W. Höpken, & U. Gretzel (Eds.), Information and communication technologies in tourism 2008. Vienna: Springer.Google Scholar
- Gustafson, K. (2016). Amazon just had its biggest sales day ever. CNBC. July 13. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/13/amazon-prime-day-is-biggest-day-for-online-retailer-ever.html.
- IBM News. (2006). IBM survey: Consumers think cybercrime now three times more likely than physical crime. http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/19154.wss.
- Igielnik, R., & Anderson, M. (2016). Ride-hailing services are seen by minorities as a benefit to areas underserved by taxis. Pew Research Center. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/25/ride-hailing-services-are-seen-by-minorities-as-a-benefit-to-areas-underserved-by-taxis/?utm_source=Pew%20Research%20Center&utm_campaign=9dca022fe6-_Weekly_July_28_20167_28_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3e953b9b70-9dca022fe6-399601777.
- Kane, K. (2015). The big hidden problem with uber? Insincere 5-Star Ratings. WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2015/03/bogus-uber-reviews/.
- Kirlappos, I., Sasse, M. A., & Harvey, N. (2012). Why trust seals don’t work: A study of user perceptions and behavior. In S. Katzenbeisser, E. Weippl, L. J. Camp, M. Volkamer, M. Reiter, & X. Zhang (Eds.), Trust and trustworthy computing. Trust 2012. Lecture notes in computer science (Vol. 7344). Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Leonidou, L., Kvasova, O., Leonidou, C., & Chari, S. (2013). Business unethicality as an impediment to consumer trust: The moderating role of demographic and cultural characteristics, 112(3), 397–415.Google Scholar
- Leslie, J. (2014). Patient use of online reviews—2014. Software Advice. http://www.softwareadvice.com/resources/medical-online-reviews-report-2014/.
- Lieber, R. (2015a). Airbnb horror story points to need for precautions. The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/15/your-money/airbnb-horror-story-points-to-need-for-precautions.html.
- Lieber, R. (2015b). Questions about Airbnb’s responsibility after attack by dog. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/your-money/questions-about-airbnbs-responsibility-after-vicious-attack-by-dog.html?_r=1.
- Luca, M. (2011). Reviews, reputation, and revenue: The case of Yelp.com. Harvard Business School NOM Unit Working Paper 12-016.Google Scholar
- Luhmann, N. (1979). Trust and power. Chichester: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Lyft. (2017). Driver and Passenger Ratings. Accessed January 19, 2017. https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/213586008-Driver-and-Passenger-Ratings.
- Mai, A. (2015). Exclusive: Staten Island woman ordered to pay $1,000 fine for bashing floor refinishing business on Yelp. New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/s-woman-pay-1g-fine-bashing-business-yelp-article-1.2370681.
- Mulshine, M. (2015). After a disappointing Airbnb stay, I realized there’s a major flaw in the review system. Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/why-airbnb-reviews-are-a-problem-for-the-site-2015-6.
- New Hampshire Department of Justice Consumer Sourcebook. Accessed January 19, 2017 http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/credit-cards.htm.
- New York State Office of the Attorney General. (2013). A.G. Schneiderman announces agreement with 19 companies to stop writing fake online reviews and pay more than $350,000 in fines. http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-agreement-19-companies-stop-writing-fake-online-reviews-and.
- Olanoff, D. (2012). Airbnb partners with Lloyd’s of London for the new million dollar Host Guarantee. The Next Web. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/05/22/airbnb-partners-with-lloyds-of-london-for-the-new-million-dollar-host-guarantee/.
- Rao, L. (2016). This lesser-known amazon business is growing fast fortune. http://fortune.com/2016/01/05/amazon-sellers-holidays/.
- Resnick, P., & Zeckhauser, R. (2002). Trust among strangers in internet transactions: Empirical analysis of eBay’s reputation system. In Michael Baye (Ed.), The economics of the internet and e-commerce (Advances in applied microeconomics, volume 11) (pp. 127–157). England: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez, S. (2014). Use Lyft? Here’s your etiquette guide. Quartz. http://qz.com/300159/use-lyft-heres-your-etiquette-guide/.
- Rousseau, D., Bitkin S., Burt R., & Camerer, C. (1998). Not so different after all: A cross-discipline view of trust. Academy of Management Review, 23(3), 393–404.Google Scholar
- Rubin, A. (2016). Yelpers write 100 million reviews and counting. March 15. https://www.yelpblog.com/2016/03/yelp-100-million-reviews-and-counting.
- Shinners, R. (2016). 10 Airbnb horror stories that will make you cringe. Country Living. http://www.countryliving.com/life/travel/a39297/airbnb-horror-stories/.
- Smart, R., Rowe, B., Hawken, A., Kleiman, Mladenovic, M., N., Gehred, P., & Manning. C. (2015). Faster and cheaper: How ride-sourcing fills a gap in low-income Los Angeles Neighborhoods. BOTEC Analysis Corporation.Google Scholar
- Swift, A. (2016). Americans’ trust in mass media sinks to new low. Gallup. http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx.
- Tanz, J. (2014). How Airbnb and Lyft finally got Americans to trust each other. WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2014/04/trust-in-the-share-economy/.
- The Telegraph. (2016). How to find out your Uber rating- and improve it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/04/11/how-to-find-out-your-uber-rating—and-improve-it/.
- TripAdvisor factsheet. https://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-c4-Fact_Sheet.html.
- Uber. (2017). Uber community guidelines.” Accessed January 19, 2017. https://www.uber.com/legal/community-guidelines/us-en/.
- Weise, E. (2016). Amazon could be a lot bigger than we think. USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/10/20/amazon-online-sales-bigger-larger/92419572/.
- Yelp factsheet. Accessed January 23, 2017. https://www.yelp.com/factsheet.