A New Scale to Measure Executive Servant Leadership: Development, Analysis, and Implications for Research
- 3k Downloads
This article introduces a new scale to measure executive servant leadership, situating the need for this scale within the context of ethical leadership and its impacts on followers, organizations and the greater society. The literature on servant leadership is reviewed and servant leadership is compared to other concepts that share dimensions of ethical leadership (e.g., transformational, authentic, and spiritual leadership). Next, the Executive Servant Leadership Scale (ESLS) is introduced, and its contributions and limitations discussed. We conclude with an agenda for future research, describing ways the measure can be used to test hypotheses about organizational moral climate, ethical organizational culture, corporate responsibility, and institutional theory.
Keywordsservant leadership leadership scale development ethical leadership transformational leadership authentic leadership spiritual leadership moral climate ethical organizational culture institutional theory corporate responsibility interpersonal support moral integrity altruism egalitarianism transactional leadership building community
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Babbie, E. (2004). The practice of social research, 10th ed. Belmont: Thomson.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M. (1985) Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Bellah, R. N. (1985). Habits of the heart. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Bugenhagen, M. J.: 2006, Antecedents of Transactional, Transformational, and Servant Leadership: A Constructive-Development Theory Approach. Dissertation Abstracts International (UMI No. 3238409).Google Scholar
- Burns, J. M. (1978) Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Carmines, E. G. & Zeller, R. A. (1979) Reliability and validity assessment. Beverly Hills: Sage.Google Scholar
- Chang, G. and M. Diddams: 2009, ‘Hubris or Humility: Cautions Surrounding the Construct and Self-Definition of Authentic Leadership,’ in Academy of Management Proceedings Google Scholar
- Chen, L. Y. & Barnes, F. B. (2008). The effect of servant leadership to customer relationship management implementation. Journal of International Business & Economics, vol 8, 69-79.Google Scholar
- Dannhauser, Z. and A. B. Boshoff: 2006, ‘The Relationships Between Servant Leadership, Trust, Team Commitment and Demographic Variables’, http://www.regent.edu/acad/sls/publications/conference_proceedings/servant_leadership_roundtable/2006/pdf/dannhauser_boshoff.pdf. Retrieved 1/10/20.10
- Dennis, R. S.: 2004, Servant Leadership Theory: Development of the Servant Leadership Assessment Instrument. Dissertation Abstracts International (UMI No. 3133544).Google Scholar
- Dennis, R. S. & Bocarnea, M. (2005). Development of the servant leadership assessment Instrument. Leadership & Organizational Development Journal. 26, 7/8, 600-615.Google Scholar
- Dienesch, R. M. & Liden, R. C. (1986) Leader-member exchange model of leadership: A critique and further development. Academy of Management Review, Vol 11, No 3, 618-634.Google Scholar
- Greenleaf, R. K.: 1970/1991, The Servant as a Leader (Robert K Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership, Indianapolis, IN).Google Scholar
- Greenleaf, R. K.: 1972/2009, The Institution as Servant (Robert K Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership, Indianapolis, IN).Google Scholar
- Hambrick, D. C., Mason, P. A. (1984) Upper echelons: The organization as a reflection of its top managers. Academy of Management Review, 9(2): 193-206.Google Scholar
- Irving, J. A.: 2004, ‘Servant Leadership and the Effectiveness of Teams: Findings and Implications’, http://www.regent.edu/acad/sls/publications/conference_proceedings/servant_leadership_roundtable/2004/pdf/irving_servant_leadership.pdf. Retrieved 1/6/10.
- Irving, J. A. and G. J. Longbotham: 2006, ‘Team Effectiveness and Six Essential Servant Leadership Themes: A Regression Model Based on Items in the organizational Leadership Assessment,’ http://www.regent.edu/acad/sls/publications/conference_proceedings/servant_leadership_roundtable/2006/pdf/irving_longbotham.pdf. Retrieved 1/6/10.
- Jenkins, M. and A. C. Stewart: 2008, Enhancing Nurse Job Satisfaction: The Importance of a Servant Leader Orientation in Health Care Management. Paper Presented at Academy of Management Meeting, Atlanta, GA.Google Scholar
- Johnson, C. E. (2009). Meeting the ethical challenges of leadership: Casting light or shadow, 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Joseph, E. E. & Winston, B. E. (2005). A correlation of servant leadership, leader trust, and organizational trust. Leadership & Organization Development Journal . 26(1/2): 6-22.Google Scholar
- Kalton, G. and D. Kasprzyk: 1982, ‘Imputing for Missing Survey Responses’, in 1982 Proceedings of the Section on Survey Research Methods (American Statistical Assn).Google Scholar
- Kuhnert, K. W. & Lewis, P. (1987) Transactional and transformational leadership: A constructive/developmental analysis. Academy of Management Review, Vol 12, No 4, 648-657.Google Scholar
- Landy, F. L. (1985) Psychology of work behavior. Homewood: Dorsey Press.Google Scholar
- Laub, J. A.: 1999, Assessing the Servant Organization: Development of the Servant Organizational Leadership (Sola)Instrument. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Florida Atlantic University.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, P. and Nohria, N. (2002). Driven: How human nature shapes our choices. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Oliver, C. (1991). Strategic responses to institutional processes. Academy of Management Review, 16, 145-179.Google Scholar
- Ostrem, L. M.: 2006, Servant-Leadership and Work-Related Outcomes: A Multi-Level Model. Dissertation Abstracts International (UMI No. 3208082).Google Scholar
- Page, D. & Wong, P. T. P. (2000). A conceptual framework for measuring servant-Leadership. In Adjibolosoo S. (Ed.), The Human Factor in Shaping the Course of History and Development , 69-110. Lanham MD: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- Parolini, J. L.: 2005, ‘Investigating the Relationships Among Emotional Intelligence, Servant Leadership Behaviors and Servant Leadership Culture’, http://www.regent.edu/acad/sls/publications/conference_proceedings/servant_leadership_roundtable/2005/pdf/parolini_invest.pdf. Retrieved 1/6/10.
- Patterson, K. A.: 2003, Servant Leadership: A Theoretical Model. Dissertation Abstracts International (UMI No. 3082719).Google Scholar
- Russell, R. F. & Stone, A. G. (2002). A review of servant leadership attributes: Developing a practical model. Leadership & Organizational Development Journal. 23, ¾, 145-157.Google Scholar
- Sheehan, K. (2002) Online research methodology: Reflections and speculations. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 3(1), 56-61.Google Scholar
- Spears, L., ed. (1995). Reflections on leadership: How Robert k. Greenleaf’s theory of servant-leadership influenced today’s top management thinkers. New York: John Wiley and Sons Inc,Google Scholar
- Spears, L., ed. (2002). Focus on leadership: servant-leadership for the 21st century. New York: John Wiley and Sons IncGoogle Scholar
- Trochim, William. (2001). The Research Methods Knowledge Base, 2nd ed. Cincinnati: Atomic Dog Publishing.Google Scholar
- Vidaver-Cohen, D.: 1993, ‘Creating and Maintaining Ethical Work Climates: Implications for Managing Change’, Business Ethics Quarterly 3(4), 343–358 (Best Paper 1992, Society for Business Ethics).Google Scholar
- Vidaver-Cohen, D.: 1995, ‘Creating Ethical Work Climates: A Socio-Economic Perspective’, Journal of Socio-Economics 24(2), 317–343 (Best Paper 1994, Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics).Google Scholar
- Walumbwa, F. O., D. Mayer, P. Wang, H. Wang and K. M. Workman: 2010, Opening the Black Box: Linking Ethical Leadership to Employee Performance. Paper Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada.Google Scholar
- Washington, R. R.: 2007, Empirical Relationships Between Servant, Transformational, and Transactional Leaders. Paper Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Phila, PA.Google Scholar
- Whittington, J. L., B. A. Frank, R. C. May, B. Murray and V. L. Goodwin: 2006, Servant Leadership in Organizations: Scale Development and Validation. Paper Presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Atlanta, GA.Google Scholar
- Wong, P. T. P. and D. Page: 2003, ‘Servant Leadership: An Opponent-Process Model and the Revised Servant Leadership Profile,’ http://www.regent.edu/acad/sls/publications/conference_proceedings/servant_leadership_roundtable/2003pdf/wong_servant_leadership.pdf. Retrieved 1/6/10.
- Yukl, G. (2010). Leadership in organizations, 7th ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar