Does the board of directors influence cost of debt financing? This study of a sample of Spanish listed companies during the period 2004–2007 provides some evidence about the question. The results suggest that two board attributes – director ownership and board activity – appear to influence in the risk assessment of debtholders because of their ability to reduce agency cost and information asymmetry. We also find a non-linear relationship between board size and cost of debt, suggesting that from certain levels the benefits of large boards may be outweighed by the cost of poorer communication and increased decision-making time.
KeywordsBoard of Directors corporate governance cost of debt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, R. B.: 2003, What do Boards do? Evidence from Board Committee and Director Compensation Data. Working Paper, University of Queensland, http://ssrn.com/abstract=397401.
- Adams, R. B. and H. Mehran: 2005, Corporate Performance, Board Structure and Its Determinants in the Banking Industry. Working Paper, University of Queensland, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=302593.
- Aldama Report: 2003, Report by the Special Commission to Foster Transparency and Security in the Markets and in Listed Companies, January 8, 2003, Madrid (Spain), http://www.cnmv.es/portal/Publicaciones/CodigosGovCorp.aspx.
- Anderson, R. C., S. A. Mansi and D. M. Reeb: 2006, Managerial Ownership and Behaviour: The Impact on Corporate Creditors. Working Paper, SSRN Working Paper Series, http://astro.temple.edu/~dreeb/Mgr%20Ownership%20and%20Behavior%20-%20Corporate%20Creditors.pdf.
- Bitar, J.: 2003, The Impacts of Corporate Governance on Innovation: Strategy in Turbulent Environments. Chaire de management stratégique international Walter-J.-Somers, HEC Montréal (Cahier de recherche; no. 05-01), http://neumann.hec.ca/chairemsi/cahiers/The%20ImpCorpGovJad.pdf.
- Crespí-Cladera, R. (Dir.) et al.: 2007, Observatorio de Gobierno corporativo y transparencia informativa de las sociedades cotizadas en el mercado continuo español 2007 [Observatory of Corporate Governance and Information Transparency of Spanish Listed Companies. 2007], Fundación de Estudios Financieros (FEF), Report no. 22, http://www.fef.es/sec.php?id=64.
- Heidrick and Struggles Report: 2003, Is Your Board Fit for the Global Challenge?: Corporate Governance in Europe, http://www.heidrick.com.
- Heidrick and Struggles Report: 2005, Corporate Governance in Europe. What’s the Outlook?, http://www.heidrick.com.
- Heidrick and Struggles Report: 2007, Corporate governance in Europe. Raising the Bar, http://www.heidrick.com.
- Klein, A.: 2002a, ‘Audit Committee, Board of Director Characteristics, and Earnings Management’, Journal of Accounting and Economics 33, 375–400.Google Scholar
- Klein, A.: 2002b, ‘Economic determinants of audit committee independence’, The Accounting Review 77(2), 435–452.Google Scholar
- Mace, M., 1986, “Directors: Myth and Reality” (Harvard Business School Press, Boston).Google Scholar
- McMullen, D.A. and K. Raghundan, 1996, “Enhancing Audit Committee Effectiveness”, Journal of Accountancy 182, 79-81.Google Scholar
- Olivencia Report: 1998, Comisión Especial para el estudio de un Código Ético de los Consejos de Administración de las Sociedades [Report by the Special Commission to study the Code of Ethics for Board of Directors], February, Madrid (Spain), http://www.cnmv.es/portal/Publicaciones/CodigosGovCorp.aspx.
- Patton, A. and J.C. Baker, 1987, “Why won’t directors rock the boat?”, Harvard Business Review 65 (6), 10-15.Google Scholar
- Piot, C. and F. Missonier-Piera: 2007, Corporate Governance, Audit Quality and the Cost of Debt Financing of French Listed Companies. Working Paper, SSRN Working Paper Series, http://ssrn.com/abstract=960681.
- Roberts, G. S. and L. E. Yuan: 2006, Does Institutional Ownership Affect the Cost of Bank Borrowing? Working Paper, SSRN Working Paper Series, http://ssrn.com/abstract=930138.
- Simunic, D. A., J. B. Kim, M. T. Stein and C. H. Yi: 2007, Voluntary Audit and the Cost of Debt Capital for Privately Held Firms: Korean Evidence. Working Paper, Sauder School of Business Working Paper, http://ssrn.com/abstract=773809.
- Unified Good Governance Code: 2006. Report of the Special Working Group on the Good Governance of Listed Companies, May, Madrid (Spain), http://www.cnmv.es/portal/Publicaciones/CodigosGovCorp.aspx.
- Zoido, M. E.: 1998, ‘Un estudio de las participaciones accionariales de los bancos en las empresas españolas [A study of bank shareholdings in Spanish companies]’, Investigaciones económicas XXII(3), 427–467.Google Scholar