Does Corporate Social Responsibility Matter in Asian Emerging Markets?
- 1.7k Downloads
This study addresses the question whether corporate social responsibility (CSR) matters in Asian Emerging Markets. Based on CSR scores compiled by Credit Lyonnais Securities (Asia), we assess the CSR performance of major Asian firms over a period of 3 years, from 2001 to 2004. The results show that there is a positive and significant relation between CSR and market valuation among Asian firms. We further find that CSR is positively related to the market valuation of the subsequent year. More importantly, Asian firms are rewarded by the market for improving their CSR practice.
KeywordsAsian Emerging Markets corporate social responsibility corporate valuation
JEL ClassificationG3 G34 M14
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CLSA CG Watch: 2001, 2002, 2004, Corporate Governance in Emerging Markets (Credit Lyonnais)Google Scholar
- Cohen, M., S. Fenn and S. Konar: 1997, ‘Environmental and Financial Performance: Are They Related?’, Working Paper, Vanderbilt UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Dasgupta, S., B. Laplante and N. Mamingi: 1997, ‘Capital Market Responses to Environmental Performance in Developing Countries’, Working Paper, World Bank Development Research Group (October)Google Scholar
- Filbeck, G. and R. Gorman: 2004, ‘The Stock Price Reaction to Environmentally-Related Company News’, Journal of Business and Public Affairs 31, 25-31.Google Scholar
- Guenster, N., J. Derwall and R. Bauer: 2005, ‘The Economic Value of Corporate Eco-efficiency’, Working Paper 05-09, Limburg Institute of Financial EconomicsGoogle Scholar
- Khanna, M., S. Kumar and W. Anton: 2004, ‘Environmental Self-Regulation: Implications for Environmental Efficiency and Profitability’, Working PaperGoogle Scholar
- Margolis, J. and J. Walsh: 2001, People and Profits? The Search for a Link between a Company’s Social and Financial Performance, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.Google Scholar
- UNESCAP: 2008, Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific)Google Scholar
- World Bank: 2008, Global Economic Prospects, The World Bank, WashingtonGoogle Scholar