Factors Influencing Social Responsibility Disclosure by Portuguese Companies
- 2.8k Downloads
This study compares the Internet (corporate web pages) and annual reports as media of social responsibility disclosure (SRD) and analyses what influences disclosure. It examines SRD on the Internet by Portuguese listed companies in 2004 and compares the Internet and 2003 annual reports as disclosure media. The results are interpreted through the lens of a multi-theoretical framework. According to the framework adopted, companies disclose social responsibility information to present a socially responsible image so that they can legitimise their behaviours to their stakeholder groups and influence the external perception of reputation. Results suggest that a theoretical framework combining legitimacy theory and a resource-based perspective provides an explanatory basis for SRD by Portuguese listed companies.
Keywordsannual reports internet legitimacy theory resource-based perspectives social responsibility disclosure Portugal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archel, P. 2003 La divulgación de la información social y medioambiental de la gran empresa española en el período 1994–1998: situación actual y perspectives. Revista Española de Financiación y Contabilidad 117, 571–601Google Scholar
- Belkaoui, A., Karpik P. G. 1989 Determinants of the Corporate Decision to Disclose Social Information. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 2(1), 36–51Google Scholar
- Brammer, S. and S. Pavelin: 2007, ‹Factors Influencing the Quality of Corporate Environmental Disclosure’, Business Strategy and the Environment (in press)Google Scholar
- Choi, J.-S. 1999 An Investigation of the Initial Voluntary Environmental Disclosures Made in Korean Semi-Annual Financial Reports. Pacific Accounting Review 11(1), 73–102Google Scholar
- Frost, G., Jones S., Loftus J., Van Der Laan S. 2005 A Survey of Sustainability Reporting Practices of Australian Reporting Entities. Australian Accounting Review 15(1), 89–96Google Scholar
- Purushothaman, M., Tower G., Hancock R., Taplin R. 2000 Determinants of Corporate Social Reporting Practices of Listed Singapore Companies. Pacific Accounting Review 12(2), 101–133Google Scholar
- Zéghal, D., Ahmed S. A. 1990 Comparison of Social Responsibility Information Disclosure Media Used by Canadian Firms. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 3(1), 38–53Google Scholar