Managing Global Supply Chain: The Sports Footwear, Apparel and Retail Sectors
- 4k Downloads
Amongst a backdrop of debate regarding Codes of Conduct and their raison d’etre this paper provides a detailed summary of the management systems used by multinational enterprises in the Code implementation process. It puts forth a framework for analysis based on the elements of – the creation of a vision, the development of understanding and ability, integration into operations and feedback, improvement and remediation – and then applies it across the sports footwear, apparel and retail sectors in order to firstly, demonstrate the complexities of the Code implementation process and secondly, to provide useful examples and lessons-learned to companies, policy-makers and others interested in implementing their own Code of Conduct or who are actively involved in this field.
KeywordsCode of Conduct supply chain management compliance corporate social responsibility management systems multinational enterprises
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baird, L. S., Post, J. E., Mahon, J. F. 1990Management – Functions and ResponsibilitiesHarper & RowNew York236Google Scholar
- Barney, G. G., Strauss, A. L. 1967The Discovery of Grounded TheoryAldine De GruyterNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- Frenkel, J. S., Scott, D. 2002Compliance, Collaboration, and Codes of Labor Practice: The Adidas ConnectionCalifornia Management Review452949Google Scholar
- Hartman, L. P., Arnold, D. G., Wokutch, R. E. 2003Rising above Sweatshops: Innovative Approaches to Global Labor ChallengesGreenwood Publishing GroupUSAGoogle Scholar
- Klein, N. 2000No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand BulliesPicadorNYGoogle Scholar
- Levy, D. L. 1997Lean Production in an International Supply ChainSloan Management Review3894102Google Scholar
- McIntosh, M. R., Thomas, D., Leipziger, D., Coleman, G. 2002Living Corporate Citizenship: Strategic Routes to Socially Responsible BusinessPearson PublicationsLondon and New YorkGoogle Scholar
- McGrath, J. E. 1982Dilemmatics: The Study of Research Choices and DilemmasMcGrath, J. E.Martin, J.Kulka, R. A. eds. Judgement Calls in ResearchSage PublicationsBeverly Hills, CA69102Google Scholar
- Murray, J. 1998Corporate Codes of Conduct and Labour StandardsInternational Labour Office, Bureau for Workers’ ActivitiesGenevaGoogle Scholar
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): 2001, Making Codes of Corporate Conduct Work: Management Control Systems and Corporate Responsibility.Google Scholar
- Sethi, P. S. 2003Setting Global StandardsJohn Wiley & Sons Inc.Hoboken, New JerseyGoogle Scholar