Fertility preservation with ovarian stimulation and time to treatment in women with stage II–III breast cancer receiving neoadjuvant therapy
- 665 Downloads
To determine whether fertility preservation with ovarian stimulation (OS) results in treatment delay in breast cancer (BC) patients receiving neoadjuvant therapy (NAT).
This is a retrospective study of women screened for the prospective neoadjuvant ISPY2 trial at the University of California San Francisco. All patients were <43, had stage II–III BC, and received neoadjuvant therapy. Time to initiation of NAT was compared between women who underwent OS (STIM) and women who did not (control). Patient and tumor characteristics, as well as oncologic outcomes, were compared between STIM and control groups.
82 patients were included (34 STIM and 48 control). STIM patients were overall younger (mean = 35 vs. 36.9 years old, p = 0.06), and more likely to be childless (79.4 vs 31.2%, p < 0.0001) than controls. Mean time from diagnosis to initiation of NAT was 40 days, with no significant difference between STIM and control groups (mean 39.8 days vs 40.9 days, p = 0.75). Mean time from diagnosis to fertility consultation was 16.3 days. With median follow-up of 79 months, 16 (19.5%) patients have recurred or died from BC. Rates of pCR, recurrence, and death were similar in both groups. Six of 34 STIM patients have undergone embryo transfer, resulting in one patient with two live births.
Fertility preservation with OS can be performed in the neoadjuvant setting without delay in initiation of systemic therapy and should be discussed with all early-stage BC patients of reproductive age.
KeywordsFertility preservation Ovarian stimulation Neoadjuvant Breast cancer Treatment delay Time to chemotherapy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Research involving human rights
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
- 2.Mathews TJ, Hamilton BE (2016) Mean age of mothers is on the rise: United States, 2000-2014. NCHS Data Brief 232:1–8Google Scholar
- 6.Tham YL, Sexton K, Weiss H, Elledge R, Friedman LC, Kramer R (2007) The rates of chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea in patients treated with adjuvant doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by a taxane. Am J Clin Oncol 30(2):126–132. doi: 10.1097/01.coc.0000251398.57630.4f CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Lambertini M, Boni L, Michelotti A, Gamucci T, Scotto T, Gori S, Giordano M, Garrone O, Levaggi A, Poggio F, Giraudi S, Bighin C, Vecchio C, Sertoli MR, Pronzato P, Del Mastro L, Group GIMS (2015) Ovarian suppression with triptorelin during adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy and long-term ovarian function, pregnancies, and disease-free survival: a randomized clinical trial. Jama 314(24):2632–2640. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.17291 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Moore HC, Unger JM, Phillips KA, Boyle F, Hitre E, Porter D, Francis PA, Goldstein LJ, Gomez HL, Vallejos CS, Partridge AH, Dakhil SR, Garcia AA, Gralow J, Lombard JM, Forbes JF, Martino S, Barlow WE, Fabian CJ, Minasian L, Meyskens FL Jr, Gelber RD, Hortobagyi GN, Albain KS, Investigators PS (2015) Goserelin for ovarian protection during breast-cancer adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med 372(10):923–932. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1413204 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Loren AW, Mangu PB, Beck LN, Brennan L, Magdalinski AJ, Partridge AH, Quinn G, Wallace WH, Oktay K, American Society of Clinical O (2013) Fertility preservation for patients with cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline update. J Clin Oncol 31(19):2500–2510. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.49.2678 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rastogi P, Anderson SJ, Bear HD, Geyer CE, Kahlenberg MS, Robidoux A, Margolese RG, Hoehn JL, Vogel VG, Dakhil SR, Tamkus D, King KM, Pajon ER, Wright MJ, Robert J, Paik S, Mamounas EP, Wolmark N (2008) Preoperative chemotherapy: updates of National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocols B-18 and B-27. J Clin Oncol 26(5):778–785. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2007.15.0235 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Fisher B, Brown A, Mamounas E, Wieand S, Robidoux A, Margolese RG, Cruz AB Jr, Fisher ER, Wickerham DL, Wolmark N, DeCillis A, Hoehn JL, Lees AW, Dimitrov NV (1997) Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on local-regional disease in women with operable breast cancer: findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-18. J Clin Oncol 15(7):2483–2493. doi: 10.1200/JCO.19220.127.116.113 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Cortazar P, Zhang L, Untch M, Mehta K, Costantino JP, Wolmark N, Bonnefoi H, Cameron D, Gianni L, Valagussa P, Swain SM, Prowell T, Loibl S, Wickerham DL, Bogaerts J, Baselga J, Perou C, Blumenthal G, Blohmer J, Mamounas EP, Bergh J, Semiglazov V, Justice R, Eidtmann H, Paik S, Piccart M, Sridhara R, Fasching PA, Slaets L, Tang S, Gerber B, Geyer CE Jr, Pazdur R, Ditsch N, Rastogi P, Eiermann W, von Minckwitz G (2014) Pathological complete response and long-term clinical benefit in breast cancer: the CTNeoBC pooled analysis. Lancet 384(9938):164–172. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62422-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Liedtke C, Mazouni C, Hess KR, Andre F, Tordai A, Mejia JA, Symmans WF, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Hennessy B, Green M, Cristofanilli M, Hortobagyi GN, Pusztai L (2008) Response to neoadjuvant therapy and long-term survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 26(8):1275–1281. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2007.14.4147 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Park JW, Liu MC, Yee D, Yau C, van’t Veer LJ, Symmans WF, Paoloni M, Perlmutter J, Hylton NM, Hogarth M, DeMichele A, Buxton MB, Chien AJ, Wallace AM, Boughey JC, Haddad TC, Chui SY, Kemmer KA, Kaplan HG, Isaacs C, Nanda R, Tripathy D, Albain KS, Edmiston KK, Elias AD, Northfelt DW, Pusztai L, Moulder SL, Lang JE, Viscusi RK, Euhus DM, Haley BB, Khan QJ, Wood WC, Melisko M, Schwab R, Helsten T, Lyandres J, Davis SE, Hirst GL, Sanil A, Esserman LJ, Berry DA, Investigators IS (2016) Adaptive randomization of neratinib in early breast cancer. N Engl J Med 375(1):11–22. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1513750 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Rugo HS, Olopade OI, DeMichele A, Yau C, van’t Veer LJ, Buxton MB, Hogarth M, Hylton NM, Paoloni M, Perlmutter J, Symmans WF, Yee D, Chien AJ, Wallace AM, Kaplan HG, Boughey JC, Haddad TC, Albain KS, Liu MC, Isaacs C, Khan QJ, Lang JE, Viscusi RK, Pusztai L, Moulder SL, Chui SY, Kemmer KA, Elias AD, Edmiston KK, Euhus DM, Haley BB, Nanda R, Northfelt DW, Tripathy D, Wood WC, Ewing C, Schwab R, Lyandres J, Davis SE, Hirst GL, Sanil A, Berry DA, Esserman LJ, Investigators IS (2016) Adaptive randomization of veliparib-carboplatin treatment in breast cancer. N Engl J Med 375(1):23–34. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1513749 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Jara Sanchez C, Ruiz A, Martin M, Anton A, Munarriz B, Plazaola A, Schneider J, del Prado PM, Alba E, Fernandez-Aramburo A (2007) Influence of timing of initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy over survival in breast cancer: a negative outcome study by the Spanish Breast Cancer Research Group (GEICAM). Breast Cancer Res Treat 101(2):215–223. doi: 10.1007/s10549-006-9282-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Bellon JR, Come SE, Gelman RS, Henderson IC, Shulman LN, Silver BJ, Harris JR, Recht A (2005) Sequencing of chemotherapy and radiation therapy in early-stage breast cancer: updated results of a prospective randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 23(9):1934–1940. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2005.04.032 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Gagliato Dde M, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Lei X, Theriault RL, Giordano SH, Valero V, Hortobagyi GN, Chavez-Macgregor M (2014) Clinical impact of delaying initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 32(8):735–744. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.49.7693 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Sanford RA LX, Giordano SH, Tripathy D, Barcenas CH, Chavez-Mac Gregor M (2016) Impact of delayed neoadjuvant systemic chemotherapy on survival outcomes in breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 34(suppl):abstr 1038Google Scholar