A Data-Driven Multi-scale Technique for fMRI Mapping of the Human Somatosensory Cortex
- 115 Downloads
A previously introduced Bayesian non-parametric multi-scale technique, called iterated Multigrid Priors (iMGP) method, is used to map the topographic organization of human primary somatosensory cortex (S1). We analyze high spatial resolution fMRI data acquired at ultra-high field (UHF, 7T) in individual subjects during vibrotactile stimulation applied to each distal phalange of the left hand digits using both a travelling-wave (TW) and event-related (ER) paradigm design. We compare the somatotopic digit representations generated in S1 using the iMGP method with those obtained using established fMRI paradigms and analysis techniques: Fourier-based analysis of travelling-wave data and General Linear Model (GLM) analysis of event-related data. Maps derived with the iMGP method are similar to those derived with the standard analysis, but in contrast to the Fourier-based analysis, the iMGP method reveals overlap of activity from adjacent digit representations in S1. These findings validate the use of the iMGP method as an alternative to study digit representations in S1, particularly with the TW design as an attractive means to study cortical reorganization in patient populations such dystonia and carpal tunnel syndrome, where the degree of spatial overlap of cortical finger representations is of interest.
KeywordsPrior information Bayesian approach High-spatial-resolution fMRI Ultra-high field Digit somatotopy
This work received the financial support of both The University of Nottingham and MCTI/CNPq and FAPEG. Dr. Sanchez Panchuelo is a Leverhulme Early Career Fellow. This work was funded by the MRC grant Medical Research Council [Grant Number MR/M022722/1] and BBSRC Research Council [Grant Number BB/G008906/1].
- Blake DT, Byl NN, Cheung S, Bedenbaugh P, NagarajanS Lamb M, Merzenich M (2002) Sensory representation abnormalities that parallel focal hand dystonia in a primate model. Mot Res 19(4):347–357Google Scholar
- Iwamura Y, Tanaka M, Sakamoto M, Hikosaka O (1983) Converging patterns of finger representation and complex response properties of neurons in area 1 of the first somatosensory cortex of the conscious monkey. Exp Brain Res 51:327–337Google Scholar
- Sanchez-Panchuelo RM, Besle J, Beckett A, Bowtell R, Schluppeck D, Francis S (2012) Within-digit functional parcellation of brodmann areas of the human primary somatosensory cortex using functional magnetic resonance imaging at 7 Tesla. J Neurosci 32:15815–15822CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Smith SM, Jenkinson M, Woolrich MW, Beckmann CF, Behrens TE, Johansen-Berg H, Bannister PR, De Luca M, Drobnjak I, Flitney DE, Niazy RK, Saunders J, Vickers J, Zhang Y, De Stefano N, Brady JM, Matthews PM (2004) Advances in functional and structural MR image analysis and implementation as FSL. Neuroimage 23:S208–S219CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wandell BA, Dumoulin SO, Brewer AA, (2007) Visual Field Maps in Human Cortex. Neuron 56 (2):366-383Google Scholar