What is new for monoamine neurotransmitter disorders?
- First Online:
- 1.3k Downloads
The monoamine neurotransmitter disorders are increasingly recognized as an expanding group of inherited neurometabolic syndromes caused by disturbances in the synthesis, transport and metabolism of the biogenic amines, including the catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine) and serotonin. Disturbances in monoamine metabolism lead to neurological syndromes that frequently mimic other conditions, such as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, cerebral palsy, parkinsonism-dystonia syndromes, primary genetic dystonia and paroxysmal disorders. As a consequence, neurotransmitter disorders are frequently misdiagnosed. Early and accurate diagnosis of these neurotransmitter disorders is important, as many are highly amenable to, and some even cured by, therapeutic intervention. In this review, we highlight recent advances in the field, particularly the recent extensive characterization of known neurotransmitter disorders and identification of novel neurotransmitter disorders. We also provide an overview of current and future research in the field focused on developing novel treatment strategies.
- Espay AJ, Chen R (2013) Myoclonus. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 19 (5 Movement Disorders):1264–86Google Scholar
- Henriksen FH, Yasmeen S, Skjørringe T et al. (2012) Atypical dopamine transporter deficiency syndrome in two adult males with molecular characterisation of new transporter variants. New Orleans, LA: Soc Neurosci Meet Plann 2012, Poster 042Google Scholar
- Ng J, Tuschl K, Kinali et al (2013) TH gene-negative infantile onset severe dopamine deficiency syndrome: a novel neurotransmitter disorder? Dev Med Child Neurol 5(S1):15Google Scholar
- Ng J, Zhen J, Meyer E et al. (2014) Dopamine transporter deficiency syndrome: phenotypic spectrum from infancy to adulthood. Brain. doi:10.1093/brain/awu022
- Swoboda K, Furukawa Y (2008) Tyrosine hydroxylase deficiency. GeneReviewsTM. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1437/ in December 2013