Long-term bone mineral density response to enzyme replacement therapy in a retrospective pediatric cohort of Gaucher patients
- 390 Downloads
Osteopenia is described as a relevant sign of bone involvement in Gaucher disease (GD) both in pediatric and adult patients. Furthermore, abnormal bone metabolism is considered to play a role in growth and pubertal delay. To analyze the long-term effect of enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) on bone mineral density (BMD), a retrospective observational study was conducted in a cohort of 18 GD pediatric patients (13 males, 5 females; median age 9.2 years). They received biweekly infusions of 20-60 IU/kg of alglucerase/imiglucerase. Clinical, laboratory and imaging parameters were evaluated every 2 years. According to the International Society of Clinical Densitometry guidelines, a Z-score ≤ -2.0 was considered pathological. Nine patients (group P0) began ERT during infancy and nine (group P1) during puberty. At baseline, in three patients (16.6 %; 1P0, 2P1) Z-score was ≤ -2.0 (range -2.47 to -2.25). In patient P0 it normalized after 2 years, while in the 2P1 patients (splenectomized siblings) it persisted abnormal. The remaining 15 patients (83.4 %) always presented a normal value. In group P0, Z-score improved in infancy but showed a significant decrease during puberty, on the contrary it constantly improved in group P1. Furthermore, at baseline group P0 showed a higher median Z-score than group P1: 0.79 (0.38; 1.50) and -1.61 (-2.25; -1.56) respectively. The use of correct BMD standards to interpret bone loss during pediatric age suggests a limited significance of bone loss in these patients. Moreover, the persistence of residual disease activity may affect normal bone growth during puberty in GD populations.
KeywordsBone Mineral Density Enzyme Replacement Therapy Gauche Disease Asperger Syndrome Gauche Disease Patient
We gratefully acknowledge of Giulia Liva for her precious help and support in writing this paper.
Conflict of interest
- Beutler E, Grabowski G (2001) Gaucher disease. In: Scriver C, Beaudet A, Sly E et al (eds) The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited disease. McGraw-Hill, New York, pp 3635–3668Google Scholar
- Grabowski GA, Kolodny EH, Weinreb NJ, Charrow J, Pastores GM, Mistry PK (2006) Gaucher disease: phenotypic and genetic variation, Chapter 146.1. In: Scriver CR, Beaudet AL, Sly WS, Valle D (eds) The metabolic and molecular bases of inherited disease, 9th edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Kelly TL, Specker BL, Binkely T, Zemel BS, Leonard MB, Kalkwarf HJ, Moyer-Mileur LJ, Shepard JA (2005) Pediatric BMD reference database for US white children. Bone 36:S30Google Scholar
- Lewiecki EM, Gordon CM, Baim S, Binkley N, Bilezikian JP, Kendler DL, Hans DB, Silverman S, Bishop NJ, Leonard MB, Bianchi ML, Kalkwarf HJ, Langman CB, Plotkin H, Rauch F, Zemel BS (2008) Special report on the 2007 Adult and Pediatric Position Development Conferences of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry. Osteoporos Int 19:1369–1378PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Poll LW, Koch JA, Willers R, Aerts H, Scherer A, Häussinger D, Mödder U, vom Dahl S (2002) Correlation of bone marrow response with hematological, biochemical, and visceral responses to enzyme replacement therapy of nonneuronopathic (type 1) Gaucher disease in 30 adult patients. Blood Cells Mol Dis 28:209–220PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sims KB, Pastores GM, Weinreb NJ, Barranger J, Rosenbloom BE, Packman S, Kaplan P, Mankin H, Xavier R, Angell J, Fitzpatrick MA, Rosenthal D (2008) Improvement of bone disease by imiglucerase (Cerezyme) therapy in patients with skeletal manifestations of type 1 Gaucher disease: results of a 48-month longitudinal cohort study. Clin Genet 73:430–440PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weinreb NJ, Charrow J, Andersson HC, Kaplan P, Kolodny EH, Mistry P, Pastores G, Rosenbloom BE, Scott CR, Wappner RS, Zimran A (2002) Effectiveness of enzyme replacement therapy in 1028 patients with type 1 Gaucher disease after 2 to 5years of treatment: a report from the Gaucher Registry. Am J Med 113:112–119PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar