Enhanced particle self-ordering in a double-layer channel
- 173 Downloads
In this work, a novel double-layer microfluidic device for enhancing particle focusing was presented. The double-layer device consists of a channel with expansion-contraction array and periodical slanted grooves. The secondary flows induced by the grooves modulate the flow patterns in the expansion-contraction-array (ECA) channel, further affecting the particle migration. Compared with the single ECA channel, the double-layer channel can focus the particles over a wider range of flow rate. Due to the differentiation of lateral migration, the double-layer channel is able to distinguish the particles with different sizes. Furthermore, the equilibrium positions could be modulated by the orientation of grooves. This work demonstrates the possibility to enhance and adjust the inertial focusing in an ECA channel with the assistance of grooves, which may provide a simple and portable platform for downstream filtration, separation, and detection.
KeywordsDouble-layer channel Self-ordering Inertial microfluidics Fluid dynamics
Dr. Sheng Yan is the recipient of the 2018 Endeavour Research Fellowship funded by the Australian Department of Education and Training. Dr. Shi-Yang Tang is the recipient of the Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Research Fellowship funded by the University of Wollongong.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest to declare.
- D. Jiang, W. Tang, N. Xiang, Z. Ni, RSC Adv. 6, 57647–57657 (2016)Google Scholar
- L. Landau, E. Lifshitz, Fluid Mech, 2nd edn., vol. 6 (Pergamon Press, 1987)Google Scholar
- M. E. Warkiani, A. K. P. Tay, G. Guan, J. Han, Sci. Rep., 5, 11018 (2015)Google Scholar
- S. Yan, J. Zhang, G. Alici, H. Du, Y. Zhu, W. Li, Lab Chip, 2014, 14, 2993–3003Google Scholar
- D. Yuan, J. Zhang, S. Yan, G. Peng, Q. Zhao, G. Alici, H. Du, W. Li, Electrophoresis (2016). https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.201600102
- J. Zhang, M. Li, W. H. Li, G. Alici. 23, 085023 (2013)Google Scholar