A disposable lab-on-a-chip platform with embedded fluid actuators for active nanoliter liquid handling
- 287 Downloads
In this work we present the development of a disposable liquid handling lab-on-a-chip (LOC) platform with embedded actuators for applications in analytical chemistry. The proposed platform for nanoliter liquid handling is based on a thermally responsive silicone elastomer composite, consisting of PDMS and expandable microspheres. In our LOC platform, we integrate active dosing, transportation and merging of nanoliter liquid volumes. The disposable platform successfully demonstrates precise sample volume control with smart microfluidic manipulation and on-chip active microfluidic components. It is entirely fabricated from low-cost materials using wafer-level processing. Moreover, an enzymatic reaction and real-time detection was successfully conducted to exemplify its applicability as an LOC.
KeywordsLab-on-a-chip Microfluidics Micropump PDMS composite Biochip
The authors would like to thank Expancel (Sundsvall, Sweden) for kindly providing expandable microspheres. This work was funded by the Swedish Foundation of Strategic Research (SSF) which is greatly acknowledged.
- Y.H. Choi, S. Son, and S.S. Lee, in Proc. of MEMS, 2003, pp 116–119.Google Scholar
- D.J. Harrison and A.V.D. Berg, Micro Total Analysis Systems 98, (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1998).Google Scholar
- C.-C. Hong, J.-W. Choi, and C. Ahn, in Technical Digest. MEMS 2002 IEEE International Conference, (Las Vegas, NV, USA, 2002), pp 240–243.Google Scholar
- A. Manz and H. Becker, Microsystem Technology in Chemistry and Life Sciences, Topics in current chemistry 194, (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 1998).Google Scholar
- H. Matsuki, A. Suzuki, H. Kamaya, and I. Ueda, Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1426, 143 (1999).Google Scholar
- D.W. Moss and S.B. Rosalki, (New York, Oxford University Press, 1996) p. 723.Google Scholar
- A. Russom, W. Wijngaart, H. Ehring, N. Tooke, H. Andersson, and G. Stemme, in Micro Total Analysis Systems (Nara, Japan, 2002), pp. 308–310.Google Scholar
- B. Samel, P. Griss, and G. Stemme, in Transducers’03 The 12th International Conference on Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, (IEEE 2003), pp 1558–1561.Google Scholar
- B. Samel, P. Griss, and G. Stemme, IEEE J. Microelectromech. Syst., accepted for publication (2006).Google Scholar