Salt- and osmotic stress-induced choline monooxygenase expression in Kochia scoparia is ABA-independent
- First Online:
Choline monooxygenase (CMO) is the first regulatory enzyme in the biosynthetic pathway for glycine betaine, an effective osmoprotectant in Kochia scoparia, a highly drought- and salt-tolerant species. In seedlings, CMO transcript levels are rapidly increased in response to both NaCl and osmotic stress treatments. The mRNA level in shoots was substantially higher than in roots. The rapid induction seen in whole plants was in contrast to the apparent down-regulation observed in suspension-cultured K. scoparia cells in response to the same salt stress. Treatment with exogenous abscisic acid (ABA) or fluridone shows that CMO induction proceeds via an ABA-independent signal transduction pathway. Examination of the CMO upstream regulatory region reveals a number of stress response-related elements, some of which may be involved in the stress tolerance shown by this species.
Additional key wordsgene expression glycine betaine iso-osmotic treatments Northern hybridization reverse transcription quantitative PCR
auxin response factor
betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase
reverse transcription quantitative PCR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartels, P.G., Watson, C.W.: Inhibition of carotenoid synthesis by fluridone and norflurazon. — Weed Sci. 26: 198–203, 1978.Google Scholar
- Doyle, J.J., Doyle, J.L.: Isolation of DNA from fresh plant tissue. — Focus 12: 13–15, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kern, A.J., Dyer, W.E.: Glycine betaine biosynthesis is induced by salt stress but repressed by auxinic herbicides in Kochia scoparia. — J. Plant Growth Regul. 23: 9–19, 2003.Google Scholar
- Rathinasabapathi, B., Burnet, M., Russell, B.L., Gage, D.A., Liao, P-C., Nye, G.J., Scott, P., Golbeck, J.H., Hanson, A.D.: Choline monooxygenase, an unusual iron-sulfur enzyme catalyzing the first step of glycine betaine synthesis in plants: prosthetic group characterization and cDNA cloning. — Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. USA 94: 454–3458, 1997.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F., Maniatis, T.: Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. — Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor — New York 1989.Google Scholar
- Tabuchi, T., Kawaguchi, Y., Azuma, T., Nanmori, T., Yasuda, T.: Similar regulation patterns of choline monooxygenase, phosphoethanolamine N-methyltransferase and S-adenosyl-L-methionine synthetase in leaves of the halophyte Atriplex nummularia L. — Plant Cell Physiol. 46: 505–513, 2005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar