Proteomic analysis of bacterial blight defence signalling pathway using transgenic rice overexpressing thaumatin-like protein
- 230 Downloads
Rice overexpressed thaumatin-like protein gene and the proteins from the leaf blades of 2-week-old transgenic rice seedlings were fractionated into cytosolic and membrane fractions, and separated by two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and stained with Commassie brilliant blue. Among of 440 detected proteins, 5 proteins were up-regulated and 5 proteins were down-regulated by the overexpression of thaumatin-like protein. In the sense thaumatin-like protein transgenic rice and/or in rice inoculated with Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae (Xo7435), 2-cys peroxiredoxin, thaumatin-like protein and glycine cleavage H protein were up-regulated, while oxygen evolving complex protein 2 was down-regulated. These results suggest that thaumatin-like protein-mediated disease resistance of rice against bacterial blight disease is the results of changes in proteins related to oxidative stress and energy metabolism in addition to changes in proteins related to defence.
Additional key wordsOryza sativa oxygen evolving complex Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae
two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anand, A., Zhou, T., Harold, N.T., Bikram, S.G., Willium, W.B., Subbaratnam, M.: Greenhouse and field testing of transgenic wheat plants stably expressing genes for thaumatin-like protein, chitinase and glucanase against Fusarium graminearum.-J. exp. Bot. 54: 1101–1111, 2003.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Broglie, K., Chet, I., Holliday, M., Cressman, R., Biddle, Ph., Knowlton, S., Mauvais, C.J., Broglie, R.: Transgenic plants with enhanced resistance to the fungal pathogen Rhizoctonia solani.-Science 254: 45–52, 1991.Google Scholar
- Datta, K., Velazhahan, R., Oliva, N. Ona, I., Mew, T., Khush, G.S., Muthukrishnan, S., Datta, S.K.: Overexpression of the cloned rice thaumatin-like protein (PR5) gene in transgenic rice plants enhances environmental friendly resistance to Rhizoctonia solani causing sheath blight disease.-Theor. appl. Genet. 98: 1138–1145, 1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ezuka, A., Kaku, H.: A historical review of bacterial blight of rice.-Bull. nat. Inst. Agrobiol. Resour. 15: 1–207, 2000.Google Scholar
- Maniatis, T., Fritsch, E.F., Sambrook, J.: Molecular Cloning: a Laboratory Manual.-Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor 1982.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, H., Hotta, Y., Hayashi, M., Kawai-Yamada, M., Komatsu, S., Uchimiya, H.: High throughput metabolome and proteome analysis of transgenic rice plants (Oryza sativa L.).-Plant Biotechnol. 22: 47–50, 2005.Google Scholar
- Yoshimura, S., Yoshino, R., Morihashi, T.: Lysotype of Xanthomonas oryzae and their pathogenicity.-Proc. Assoc. Plant Prot. Hokuriku (Japan) 8: 21–24, 1960.Google Scholar
- Zou, J., Rodriguez-Zas, S., Aldea, M., Li, M., Zhu, J., Gonzalez, D.O., Vodkin, L.O., DeLucia, E., Clough, S.J.: Expression profiling soybean response to Pseudomonas syringae reveals new defense-related genes and rapid HR-specific downregulation of photosynthesis.-Mol. Plant-Microbe Interact. 18: 1161–1174, 2005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar