Paclitaxel and baccatin III production induced by methyl jasmonate in free and immobilized cells of Taxus baccata
- 189 Downloads
The effects of 100 and 200 µM methyl jasmonate (MJA) on cell proliferation and paclitaxel and baccatin III production were investigated in free and alginate immobilized cells of Taxus baccata growing in a selected product formation culture medium. The greatest accumulation of paclitaxel (13.20 mg dm−3) and baccatin III (4.62 mg dm−3) occurred when 100 µM MJA was added to the culture medium of cells entrapped using a 1.5 and 2.5 % alginate solution. The effects of different treatments on the viability of cultured cells and their capacity to excrete both taxanes into the surrounding medium were considered.
Additional key wordsalginate entrapped cells cell cultures elicitation taxanes yew
Gamborg’s B5 medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duncan, R.D., Widholm, J.M.: Measurements of viability suitable for plant tissue cultures.-In: Pollard, J.W., Walker, J.M. (ed.): Methods in Molecular Biology. Vol. 6. Pp. 29–37. The Humana Press, Totowa 1990.Google Scholar
- Fett-Neto, A.G., DiCosmo, F.: Taxol® and taxane production by cell culture.-In: Meyers, R.A. (ed.): Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology and Molecular Medicine. Vol. 6. Pp. 10–17. VCH Verlags-Gesellschaft, Weinheim 1997.Google Scholar
- Gilleta, F., Roisin, C., Fliniaux, M.A., Jacquin-Dubreuil, A., Barbotin, J.N., Nava-Saucedo, J.E.: Immobilization of Nicotiana tabacum plant cell suspensions within calcium alginate gel beads for the production of enhanced amounts of scopolin.-Enzyme Microbiol. Technol. 26: 229–234, 2000.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grothaus, P.G., Bignami, G.S., O’Malley, S., Harada, K.E., Byrnes, J.B., Walle, D.F., Raybould, T.J.G., MacGuire, M.T., Alvarado, B.: Taxane-specific monoclonal antibodies: measurement of taxol, baccatin III, and total taxanes in Taxus brevifolia extracts by enzyme immunoassay.-J. Natur. Prod. 58: 1003–1014, 1995.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hall, R.D., Holden, M.A., Yeoman, M.M.: Immobilization of higher plant cells.-In: Bajaj, Y.P.S. (ed.): Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry. Vol. 4. Medicinal and Aromatic Plants I. Pp. 136–156. Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1988.Google Scholar
- Jordon, M.A., Wilson, L.: Microtubule polymerization dynamics, mitotic block, and cell death by paclitaxel at low concentrations.-In: Georg, G.I., Chen, T.T., Ojima, I., Vyas, D.M. (ed.): Taxane Anticancer Agents. Pp. 138–153. American Chemical Society, Washington 1995.Google Scholar