Expression pattern of the AHP gene family from Arabidopsis thaliana and organ specific alternative splicing in the AHP5 gene
- 174 Downloads
Histidine-containing phosphotransmitters (AHPs) transfer a phosphoryl group from membrane receptors to effectors in the nucleus. Five AHP genes have been identified in Arabidopsis. Real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) was employed to quantify contents of individual transcripts in Arabidopsis leaves, roots, stems, flowers and siliques. High organ specificity of gene expression was found in AHP1, AHP2, AHP4 while expression of AHP3 and AHP5 appears more ubiquitous. We detected two AHP5 specific PCR products (AHP5 and AHP5L). Out of the five AHP5 introns, the second one was retained unspliced in the longer product (AHP5L) while AHP5 corresponded to a completely spliced AHP5 mRNA. The ratio between alternately and completely spliced AHP5 mRNAs was highest in flowers and lowest in siliques and stems. No evidence for alternative splicing in the remaining AHP transcripts was found. Two open reading frames were identified in AHP5L. The conserved part of the phosphotransfer domain remains unaffected in the longer one as the translation initiation at an intron ATG would result in a polypeptide coded by exons 3 to 6 and a short extension encoded by the intron part of the alternative open reading frame. However, the isoelectric point would shift by about 3 units towards neutral.
Additional key wordsArabidopsis two component systems gene expression analysis real time RT-PCR signal transduction
reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Haas, B.J., Volfovsky, N., Town, C.D., Troukhan, M., Alexandrov, N., Feldmann, K.A., Flavell, K.B., White, O., Salzberg, S.L.: Full-length messenger RNA sequences greatly improve genome annotation.-Genome Biol. 3: (http://genomebiology.com/2002/3/6/research/0029), 2002.
- Higuchi, M., Pischke, M.S., Mahonen, A.P., Miyawaki, K., Hashimoto, Y., Seki., M., Kobayashi, M., Shinozaki, K., Kato, T., Tabata, S., Helariutta, Y., Sussman, M.R., Kakimoto, T.: In planta functions of the Arabidopsis cytokinin receptor family.-Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. USA 101: 8821–8826, 2004.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Imamura, A., Hanaki, N., Nakamura, A., Suzuki, T., Tanaguchi, M., Kiba, T., Ueguchi, C., Sugiyama, T., Mizuno, T.: Compilation and characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana response regulators implicated in His-Asp phosphorelay signal transduction.-Plant Cell Physiol. 40: 733–742, 1999.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lohrmann, J., Bucholz, G., Keitel, C., Sweere, U., Kircher, S., Bäurle, I., Kudla, J., Schäfer, E., Harter, K.: Differential expression and nuclear localization of response regulator-like proteins from Arabidopsis thalina.-Plant Biol. 1: 495–505, 1999.Google Scholar
- Lohrmann, J., Sweere, U., Zabaleta, E., Bäurle, I., Keitel, C., Kozma-Bognar, L., Brennicke, A., Schäfer, E., Kudla, J., Harter, K.: The response regulator ARR2: pollen-specific transcription factor involved in the expression of nuclear genes for components of mitochondrial complex I in Arabidopsis.-Mol. Genet. Genomics 265: 2–13, 2001.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pischke, M.S., Jones, L.G., Otsuga, D., Fernandez, D.E., Drews, G.N., Sussman, M.R.: An Arabidopsis histidine kinase is essential for megagametogenesis.-Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 15800–15805, 2002.Google Scholar
- Riechmann, J.L., Heard, J., Martin, G., Reuber, L., Jiang, C., Keddie, J., Adam, L., Pineda, O., Ratcliffe, O.J., Samaha, R.R., Creelman, R., Pilgrim, M., Broun, P., Zhang, J.Z., Ghandehari, D., Sherman, B.K., Yu, G.: Arabidopsis transcription factors: genome-wide comparative analysis among eukaryotes.-Science 290: 2105–2110, 2000.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki, T., Ishikawa, K., Yamashino, T., Mizuno, T.: An Arabidopsis histidine-containing phosphotransfer (HPt) factor implicated in phosphorelay signal transduction: overexpression of AHP2 in plants results in hypersensitiveness to cytokinin.-Plant Cell Physiol. 43: 123–129, 2002.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki, T., Sakurai, K., Imamura, A., Nakamura, A., Ueguchi, C., Mizuno, T.: Compilation and characterization of histidine-containing phosphotransmitters implicated in Histo-Asp phosphorelay in plants: AHP signal transducers of Arabidopsis thaliana.-Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 64: 2486–2489, 2000.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar