Micropropagation of Coleus blumei from nodal segments and shoot tips
- 441 Downloads
A rapid and highly-effective method for micropropagation from nodal segment and shoot tip explants was established for Coleus blumei Benth. Nodal segments and shoot tips were inoculated on MS medium containing 0.7 % agar, 3 % commercial sugar, and different combinations of 6-benzyladenine (BA) with indole-3-acetic acid (IAA), indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) or α-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA). Hundred percent shoot induction from both explants was achieved on the medium containing BA (2 mg dm−3) and NAA (1 mg dm−3). Shoot tips were proved to be the better explant in comparison to nodal segments in having high rate of shoot induction and more number of shoots. The same media conditions were found suitable for shoot multiplication. Multiplied shoots rooted best on MS medium supplemented with IBA (2 mg dm−3). Micropropagated plants were successfully established in soil after hardening, with 100 % survival rate.
Additional key wordsagar concentration carbon source growth regulators shoot differentiation tissue culture
- MS medium
Murashige and Skoog’s (1962) medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bains, P.S.: A low cost and simple medium for micropropagation of potato.-In Vitro 27: 45A, 1991.Google Scholar
- George, P.S., Ravishankar, G.A.: In vitro multiplication of Vanilla planifolia using axillary bud explants.-Plant Cell Rep. 16: 490–494, 1997.Google Scholar
- Kannan, R., Jasrai, Y.T.: Micropropagation of medicinal plant-Vitex negundo.-J. med. arom. Plant Sci. 20: 693–696, 1998.Google Scholar
- Marcotrigiano, M., Boyle, T.H., Morgan, P.A., Ambach, K.L.: Leaf color variants from Coleus shoot cultures.-J. amer. Soc. hort. Sci. 115: 681–686, 1990.Google Scholar
- Meinhard, J., Petersen, M., Alfermann, A.W.: Rosmarinic acid in organ cultures of Coleus blumei.-Planta med. 59(Suppl.): 7, 1993.Google Scholar
- Meyers, L.S., Grossen, N.E.: Behavioral Research, Theory, Procedure and Design.-W.H. Freeman and Co., San Francisco 1974.Google Scholar
- Ponsamuel, J., Samson, N.P., Anderson, K.P.: In vitro clonal propagation of country potato-an underexploited tuber plant.-In Vitro 30: A71, 1994.Google Scholar
- Zagrajski, N., Leljak-Levanić, D., Jelaska, S.: Organogenesis and callogenesis in nodal, internodal and leaf explants of Coleus blumei Benth.-Periodicum Biol. 99: 67–76, 1997.Google Scholar