The cytotoxicity effects of a novel Cu complex on MCF-7 human breast cancerous cells
- 144 Downloads
A variety of biological activities, such as anti-microbial and anti-tumor properties was reported for 1,10-phenanthroline and its copper complexes. In this study, the anti-proliferative activity of a novel [Cu(L)(phen)] complex was investigated on MCF-7 breast cancer cells using MTT assay. Since chemotherapy is lake of ability to distinguish between normal cells from cancerous cells, therefore we also investigated the effect of [Cu(L)(phen)] complex on normal L929 cells. The results showed that following 24 and 48 h exposure of cells with [Cu(L)(phen)] complex, the IC50 values for MCF-7 were significantly lower than that recorded for L929 and normal cells were less sensitive than cancerous cells to the complex. Additionally, the [Cu(L)(phen)] complex displayed a time- and concentration-dependent cytotoxic response, with MCF-7 and L929 cells. Also flow cytometry findings suggest that [Cu(L)(phen)] complex is capable of decreasing cancer cell viability through apoptosis and did not efficiently activate the necrosis process.
KeywordsApoptosis Breast cancer [Cu(L)(phen)] complex Cytotoxicity MCF-7 cell line
Fetal bovine serum
Inhibiting cell growth by 50%
Phosphate buffered saline
Statistical package for the social sciences
World Health Organization
This article is an excerpt from Fatemeh Mohammadizadeh’s master’s thesis in Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences (RUMS), Rafsanjan, Iran. The authors would like to thank the Molecular Medicine Research Center (MMRC) in RUMS from of Iran for providing the necessary equipment for this work. This study was approved by the RUMS Ethical Committee by the Number of IR.RUMS.REC.1395.140.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no Conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants.
- Devereux M et al (2006) Synthesis, superoxide dismutase mimetic and anticancer activities of metal complexes of 2, 2-Dimethylpentanedioic acid (2dmepdaH2) and 3, 3-Dimethylpentanedioic acid (3dmepdaH2): x-ray crystal structures of [Cu (3dmepda)(bipy)] 2· 6H2O and [Cu (2dmepda)(bipy)(EtOH)] 2· 4EtOH (bipy = 2, 2′ Bipyridine). Bioinorg Chem Appl. https://doi.org/10.1155/BCA/2006/80283
- Deegan C, McCann M, Devereux M, Coyle B, Egan DA (2007) In vitro cancer chemotherapeutic activity of 1, 10-phenanthroline (phen),[Ag 2 (phen) 3 (mal)]·2H 2 O,[Cu (phen) 2 (mal)]·2H 2 O and [Mn (phen) 2 (mal)]· 2H 2 O (malH 2 = malonic acid) using human cancer cells. Cancer Lett 247:224–233CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fan L, Tian M, Liu Y, Deng Y, Liao Z, Xu J (2017) Salicylate• Phenanthroline copper (II) complex induces apoptosis in triple-negative breast cancer cells. Oncotarget 8:29823Google Scholar
- Geraghty M, Sheridan V, McCann M, Devereux M, McKee V (1999) Synthesis and anti-Candida activity of copper (II) and manganese (II) carboxylate complexes: x-ray crystal structures of [Cu (sal)(bipy)]· C2H5OH· H2O and [Cu (norb)(phen) 2]· 6.5 H2O (salH2 = salicylic acid; norbH2 = cis-5-norbornene-endo-2, 3-dicarboxylic acid; bipy = 2, 2′-bipyridine; phen = 1, 10-phenanthroline). Polyhedron 18:2931–2939CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Green DR, Reed JC (1998) Mitochondria and apoptosis. Sci-AAAS-Weekly Pap Edition 281:1309–1311Google Scholar
- Hajrezaie M et al (2014) A Schiff Base-derived copper (II) complex is a potent inducer of apoptosis in colon cancer cells by activating the intrinsic pathway. The Scientific World Journal 2014Google Scholar
- Karimabad MN et al (2017) The novel indole-3-formaldehyde (2-AITFEI-3-F) is involved in processes of apoptosis induction? Life Sci 181:31–44Google Scholar
- Płotek M, Dudek K, Kyzioł A (2013) Selected copper (I) complexes as potential anticancer agent. Chemik 67(12):11–15Google Scholar
- Ranford JD, Sadler PJ, Tocher DA (1993) Cytotoxicity and antiviral activity of transition-metal salicylato complexes and crystal structure of bis (diisopropylsalicylato)(1, 10-phenanthroline) copper (II). J Chem Soc Dalton Trans 22:3393–3399Google Scholar
- Sheikhrezaei Z et al (2018) A new indole derivative decreased SALL4 gene expression in acute promyelocytic leukemia cell line (NB4). Iran Biomed J 22:92–106Google Scholar