Testicular toxicity induced by dietary cadmium in cocks and ameliorative effect by selenium
- 587 Downloads
Cadmium (Cd) is an ubiquitous environmental pollutant that has been associated with male reproductive toxicity in animal models. However, little is known about the reproductive toxicity of Cd in birds. To investigate the toxicity of Cd on male reproduction in birds and the protective effects of selenium (Se) against subchronic exposure to dietary Cd, 100-day-old cocks received either Se (as 10 mg Na2SeO3 per kg of diet), Cd (as 150 mg CdCl2 per kg of diet) or Cd + Se in their diets for 60 days. Histological and ultrastructural changes in the testis, the concentrations of Cd and Se, amount of lipid peroxidation (LPO), the activities of the antioxidants superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx), and apoptosis and serum testosterone levels were determined. Exposure to Cd significantly lowered SOD and GPx activity, Se content in the testicular tissue, and serum testosterone levels. It increased the amount of LPO, the numbers of apoptotic cells and Cd concentration and caused obvious histopathological changes in the testes. Concurrent treatment with Se reduced the Cd-induced histopathological changes in the testis, oxidative stress, endocrine disorder and apoptosis, suggesting that the toxic effects of cadmium on the testes is ameliorated by Se. Se supplementation also modified the distribution of Cd in the testis.
KeywordsCadmium Selenium Oxidative stress Apoptosis Cock testis
This work was supported by a grant from the Bureau of Education of Heilongjiang Province (No. 10551038).
- IARC (1993) Beryllium, cadmium, mercury, and exposures in the glass manufacturing industry. IARC Monograph 58, LyonGoogle Scholar
- Lafuente A, Márquez N, Pérez-Lorenzo M, Pazo D, Esquifino AI (2001) Cadmium effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis in male rats. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 226(6):605–611Google Scholar
- Lazarus M, Orct T, Blanusa M, Kostial K, Pirsljin J, Beer-Ljubic B (2006) Effect of selenium pre-treatment on cadmium content and enzymatic antioxidants in tissues of suckling rat. Toxicol Lett 164(S1):S191. doi: 10.1016/j.toxlet.2006.07.055
- Lucia M, Andre JM, Gonzalez P, Baudrimont M, Gontier K, Maury-Brachet R, Davail S (2009) Impact of cadmium on aquatic bird Cairina moschata. Biometals (in press). doi: 10.1007/s10534-009-9232-5
- Messaoudi I, Hammouda F, El Heni J, Baati T, Said K, Kerkeni A (2009) Reversal of cadmium-induced oxidative stress in rat erythrocytes by selenium, zinc or their combination. Exp Toxicol Pathol (in press). doi: 10.1016/j.etp.2009.04.004
- Siu ER, Mruk DD, Porto CS, Cheng CY (2009) Cadmium-induced testicular injury. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol (in press). doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2009.01.028