Exposure to high fluoride concentration in drinking water will affect spermatogenesis and steroidogenesis in male albino rats
Sodium fluoride (NaF) administered orally to adult male rats at a dose level of 4.5 ppm and 9.0 ppm for 75 days caused significant decrease in the body weight, brain index and testicular index. A significant decrease in sperm count, sperm motility, sperm viability and sperm function (HOS positive) with increased sperm abnormalities was also observed in NaF-exposed male rats. The activity levels of testicular steroidogenic marker enzymes 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3β-HSD) and 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17β-HSD) were significantly decreased in NaF-treated rats indicating decreased steroidogenesis and in turn spermatogenesis in rats exposed to NaF.
Keywordssodium fluoride sperm male rat testes steroidogenic marker enzymes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belsy, MA, Moghissi, KS, Eliasson, R, Paulsen, CA, Callegos, AJ, Prasad, MRN. 1980Laboratory Manual for the Examination of Human Semen and Semen Cervical Mucus InteractionPress ConcernSingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Bergmeyer, HU 1974
β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenaseBergmeyer, eds. Methods of Enzymatic AnalysisAcademic PressNew York447489Vol. IGoogle Scholar
- Groth, E. 1975An evaluation of the potential for ecological damage by chronic low level environmental pollution by fluorideFluoride8224240Google Scholar
- Kumar, A, Susheela, AK. 1994Ultrastructural studies of spermatogenesis in rabbit exposed to chronic fluoride toxicityInt J Fert Men Std39164171Google Scholar
- Lamberg, M, Hausen, H, Vartiamen, T. 1997Symptoms experienced during periods of actual and supposed water fluoridationCommunity Dent Oral Epidemol25291295Google Scholar
- Narayana, MV, Chinoy, NJ. 1994Effect of fluoride on rat testicular steroidogenesisFluoride27712Google Scholar
- Neelam K, Suhasini RV, Sudhakar RY. 1987 Incidence of prevalence of infertility among married male members of endemic fluorosis district of Andhra Pradesh. In: Abstract Proceedings of Conference of the International Society for Fluoride Research. Nyon, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Pant, N, Srivastava, SC, Prasad, AK, Shankar, S, Srivastava, SP. 1995Toxic effect of carbaryl on male reproductive system of ratVet Hum Toxicol47421425Google Scholar
- Pillai, SK, Sinha, HC. 1968Statistical Methods for Biological WorkersRam Prasad and sonsAgra, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, C, Liang, B, Liu, J, Wang, G. 2000Toxic effect of fluoride–arsenic on the reproduction and development of ratsWei Sheng Yan29138140Google Scholar