A kinetic analysis of three modified novel nitroreductases
- 389 Downloads
A kinetic comparison between three nitroreductase enzymes isolated from the genome of Bacillus licheniformis ATCC 14580 for prospective use as immobilised enzymes for explosives detection has been conducted. The genes encoding the three enzymes (yfkO [BLNfnB] encoding an NfsB-like enzyme; nfrA [BLNfrA1] and ycnD [BLNfrA2] encoding PnrA-like enzymes) have been PCR amplified from the native genome and cloned into pET-28a(+) and a modified cysteine(6)-tagged pET-28a(+) and subsequently over-expressed, purified, and biochemically characterised. The previously uncharacterised nitroreductases exhibited activity against a wide range of explosives, including cyclic nitramines. Amino acid alignments and overall structural comparisons with other nitroreductase family members suggest that the B. licheniformis enzymes are members of the NfsA-Frp/NfsB-FRase I family group. Despite the overall low amino acid identity, regions for flavin mononucleotide binding and active site residues were highly conserved.
KeywordsBacillus licheniformis Nitroreductase Explosives
The authors wish to acknowledge funding from Trwyn and Nanosecure an EU project.
- Kobori T, Sasaki H, Lee WC, Zenno S, Saigo K, Murphy MEP, Tanokura M (2001) Structure and site-directed mutagenesis of a flavoprotein from Escherichia coli that reduces nitrocompounds. Alteration of pyrimidine nucleotide binding by a single amino acid substitution. J Biol Chem 276:2816–2823PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rey MW, Ramaiya P, Nelson BA, Brody-Karpin SD, Zaretsky EJ, Tang M, de Leon AL, Xiang H, Gusti V, Clausen IG, Olsen PB, Rasmussen MD, Andersen JT, Jorgensen PL, Larsen TS, Sorokin A, Bolotin A, Lapidus A, Galleron N, Ehrlich SD, Berka RM (2004) Complete genome of the industrial bacterium Bacillus licheniformis and comparisons with closely related Bacillus species. Genome Biol 5:R77PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Williams PA, Zaba BN (1997) EnzPack for Windows. Biosoft, Cambridge, UKGoogle Scholar
- Zenno S, Koike H, Tanokura M, Saigo K (1996a) Gene cloning, purification, and characterization of NfsB, a minor oxygen-insensitive nitroreductase from Escherichia coli, similar in biochemical properties to FRase I, the major flavin reductase in Vibrio fischeri. J Biochem 120:736–744PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zenno S, Koike H, Tanokura M, Saigo K (1996c) Conversion of NfsB, a minor Escherichia coli nitroreductase, to a flavin reductase similar in biochemical properties to FRase I, the major flavin reductase in Vibrio fischeri, by a single amino acid substitution. J Bacteriol 178:4731–4733PubMedGoogle Scholar