Noninvasive imaging of hepatocyte IL-6/STAT3 signaling pathway for evaluating inflammation responses induced by end-stage stored whole blood transfusion
- 4 Downloads
To monitor the inflammatory storage lesions of end-stage stored whole blood (SWB) using a noninvasive STAT3 signal pathway mouse model.
In this study, we present a hydrodynamic transfection-based STAT3-Luc mouse model in which hepatocyte STAT3 signal pathway activation can be monitored by measuring luciferase activity using a noninvasive imaging system. Such a mouse model may reflect systemic IL-6 and inflammation levels by monitoring the activation of STAT3. During end-stage SWB transfusion, in vivo imaging of STAT3-Luc mice showed obvious luciferase activity in the hepatic region, which was consistent with an increase in IL-6 levels in the liver homogenate and circulation. We also confirmed that the mononuclear phagocytic system contributed to the elevation of serum and liver IL-6 after end-stage SWB transfusion.
The hepatocyte STAT3 signaling pathway, which is activated by end-stage SWB transfusion, is associated with the elevation of systemic IL-6 secreted by macrophages. The STAT3-Luc mouse may serve as a mouse model for monitoring inflammation responses after end-stage SWB transfusion.
KeywordsWhole blood Hydrodynamic transfection Bioluminescence imaging IL-6/STAT3 Inflammatory
This work was supported by Foundation of AHJ17J002-06, the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81800183) and the Mega-Project of Science Research (2017ZX10304402-003-004, 2017ZX10304402-003-011).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Emery P et al (2008) IL-6 receptor inhibition with tocilizumab improves treatment outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis refractory to anti-tumour necrosis factor biologicals: results from a 24-week multicentre randomised placebo-controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis 67:1516–1523CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garcíaroa M et al (2017) Red blood cell storage time and transfusion: current practice, concerns and future perspectives. Blood Transfus 15:222Google Scholar
- Gurney JM, Spinella PC (2018) Blood transfusion management in the severely bleeding military patient. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 31:207Google Scholar
- Nam-Hoon K, Mun-Yong L, Seon-Joo P, Jeong-Sun C, Mi-Kyung O, In-Sook K (2010) Auranofin blocks interleukin-6 signalling by inhibiting phosphorylation of JAK1 and STAT3. Immunology 122:607–614Google Scholar
- Xia S et al (2016) Sodium pyruvate improves the storage damage of red blood cells Chinese. J Blood Transfus 29:353–356Google Scholar
- Yong Z et al (2012) Noninvasive molecular imaging of interferon beta activation in mouse liver. Liver Int 32:383–391Google Scholar