Fumaric acid: production and separation
- 27 Downloads
Fumaric acid is a valuable compound used in foods, beverages, detergents, animal feed, pharmaceuticals and miscellaneous industrial products. It is produced on a large scale by the petrochemical route but the current tendency is towards implementing “green production” and environmental friendly technologies like biotechnological production of fumaric acid using low-cost raw materials. In this context, numerous studies focus on improving the fermentation process not only by using renewable raw material and genetically modified microorganisms, but also by developing and applying different downstream techniques for easy recovery of fumaric acid from the fermented broth. This review presents the main methods for production and separation of fumaric acid, highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of these and the potential economic impact in industry.
KeywordsFermentation Fumaric acid Rhizopus Separation
This work was supported by the Grant PN-III-P4-ID-PCE-2016-0100 authorized by The National Council for Scientific Research - Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (CNCS-UEFISCDI).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Dorsam S, Fesseler J, Gorte O, Hahn T, Zibek S, Syldatk C, Ochsenreither K (2017) Sustainable carbon sources for microbial organic acid production with filamentous fungi. Biotechnol Biofuels 10(242):1–12Google Scholar
- Figueira D, Cavalheiro J, Ferreira BS (2017) Purification of polymer-grade fumaric acid from fermented spent sulfite liquor. Fermentation 3(13):1–11Google Scholar
- Goto M, Nara T, Tokumaru I, Fugono N, Uchida Y, Terasawa M, Yukawa H (1998) Method of producing fumaric acid. US5783428Google Scholar
- Grand View Research, Inc. (2015) Fumaric acid market analysis and segment forecasts to 2020, Report ID 978-1-68038-374-4, https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/fumaric-acid-market
- Li Z, Liu N, Cao Y, Jin C, Li F, Cai C, Yao J (2018) Effects of fumaric acid supplementation on methane production and rumen fermentation in goats fed diets varying in forage and concentrate particle size. J Anim Sci Biotechnol 9(21):1–9Google Scholar
- Markit I (2018) Fumaric Acid: Chemical Economics Handbook. https://ihsmarkit.com/fumaric. Accessed 5 Oct 2018
- Papadaki A, Androutsopoulos N, Patsalou M et al (2017) Biotechnological production of fumaric acid: the effect of morphology of Rhizopus arrhizus NRRL 2582. Fermentation 3(33):1–13Google Scholar
- Rhodes RA, Moyer AJ, Smith ML, Kelley SE (1961) Production of fumaric acid in 20 liter fermenters. Appl Microbiol 10(1):9–15Google Scholar
- Zhang K, Zhang B, Yang HT (2013) Production of citric, itaconic, fumaric and malic acids in filamentous fungal fermentations. In: El-Enshasy HA, Thongchul N (eds) Bioprocessing technologies in biorefinery for sustainable production of fuels, chemicals, and polymers, 1st edn. Wiley, Hoboken, pp 375–397CrossRefGoogle Scholar