Characterization of a New Stearoyl-acyl Carrier Protein Desaturase Gene from Jatropha curcas
- 314 Downloads
A new full-length cDNA of stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase was obtained by RT-PCR and RACE techniques from developing seeds of Jatropha curcas. Sequence alignment showed that its deduced amino acid sequence had high similarity with other stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturases. The gene was functionally expressed in E. coli and the desaturating activity of recombinant protein was easily detected when assayed in vitro with added spinach ferredoxin. Southern blot analysis indicated that the gene was a member of a small gene family. Northern blot analysis revealed it was highly expressed in developing fruits of J. curcas.
Keywordsfatty acid Jatropha curcas prokaryotic expression stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davydov, R, Behrouzian, B, Smoukov, S, Stubble, J, Hoffman, BM, Shanklin, J 2005Effect of substrate on the diiron (III) site in stearoyl acyl carrier protein delta 9-desaturase as disclosed by cryoreduction electron paramagnetic resonance/electron nuclear double resonance spectroscopyBiochemistry4413091315PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kodama, H, Horiguchi, G, Nishiuchi, T, Nishimura, M, Iba, K 1995Fatty acid desaturation during chilling acclimation is one of the factors involved in conferring low-temperature tolerance to young tobacco leavesPlant Physiol.10911771185Google Scholar
- Sambrook, J, Fritsch, EF, Miniatis, T 1989Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual2 Cold Spring Harbor LaboratoryCold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar
- Thompson, GA, Scherer, DE, Aken, SF, Kenny, JW, Young, HL, Shintani, JC, Knauf, VC 1991Primary structures of the precursor and mature forms of stearoyl-acyl carrier protein desaturase from safflower embryos and requirement of ferredoxin for enzyme activityProc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA8825782582PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, NH, Wei, ZQ, He, JX, Du, LF, Liang, HG 2004An efficient and economic method for preparation of high quality plant RNAProg. Biochem. Biophys.31947950Google Scholar