Hydrolysis of polyesters by serine proteases
The substrate specificity of α-chymotrypsin and other serine proteases, trypsin, elastase, proteinase K and subtilisin, towards hydrolysis of various polyesters was examined using poly(L-lactide) (PLA), poly(β-hydroxybutyrate) (PHB), poly(ethylene succinate) (PES), poly(ethylene adipate) (PEA), poly(butylene succinate) (PBS), poly(butylene succinate-co-adipate) (PBS/A), poly[oligo(tetramethylene succinate)-co-(tetramethylane carbonate)] (PBS/C), and poly(ɛ-caprolactone) (PCL). α-Chymotrypsin could degrade PLA and PEA with a lower activity on PBS/A. Proteinase K and subtilisin degraded almost all substrates other than PHB. Trypsin and elastase had similar substrate specificities to α-chymotrypsin.
Keywordsbiodegradable α-chymotrypsin polyesters poly(L-lactide) serine proteases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asgeirsson, B, Bjarnason, JB 1991Structural and kinetic properties of chymotrypsin from atlantic cod (Gadus Morhua). comparison with bovine chymotrypsinComp. Biochem. Physiol.99B327335Google Scholar
- Cohen, T, Gertler, A, Birk, Y 1981Pancreatic proteolytic enzymes from carp (Cyprinus Carpio) I. purification and physical properties of trypsin, chymotrypsin, elastase and carboxypeptidase BComp. Biochem. Physiol.69B639646Google Scholar
- Pranamuda, H, Tokiwa, Y, Tanaka, H 1997Polylactide degradation by an Amycolatopsis spAppl. Environ. Microbiol.6316371640Google Scholar
- Tokiwa, Y, Ando, T, Suzuki, T 1976Degradation of polycaprolactone by a fungusJ. Ferment. Technol.54603608Google Scholar
- Tokiwa, Y, Suzuki, T 1977aHydrolysis of polyesters by lipasesNature2707678Google Scholar
- Tokiwa, Y, Suzuki, T 1977bPurification and some properties of polyethylene adipate-degrading enzyme produced by Penicillium sp. strain 14-3Agric. Biol. Chem.41265274Google Scholar
- Tokiwa, Y, Suzuki, T 1978Hydrolysis of polyesters by Rhizopus delemar lipaseAgric. Biol. Chem.4210711072Google Scholar
- Williams, DF 1981Enzymatic hydrolysis of polylactic acidEng. Med.1057Google Scholar