Purification and characterization of an alkaline cellulase from a newly isolated alkalophilic Bacillus sp. HSH-810
- 333 Downloads
An alkaline cellulase from Bacillus sp. HSH-810 was purified 8.7-fold with a 30% yield and a specific activity of 71 U mg−1 protein. It was optimally active at pH 10 and 50 °C and was stable from pH 6 to 10 with more than 60% activity remaining after heating at 60 °C for 60 min. The molecular mass of cellulase was 80 kDa. It was inhibited by 50% by Fe3+ (1 mM) and Mn2+ (0.1 mM) but was relatively insensitive to Hg2+ and Pb2+ at 1 mM.
Keywordsalkaline cellulase alkalophilic Bacillus sp. characterization purification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhat, MK 2000Cellulases and related enzymes in biotechnologyBiotechnol. Adv.18355383Google Scholar
- Christakopoulos, P, Hatzinikolaou, DG, Fountoukidis, G, Kekos, D, Claeyssens, M, Macris, BJ 1999Purification and mode of action of an alkali-resistant endo-1,4-β-glucanase from Bacillus pumilusArch. Biochem. Biophys.3646166Google Scholar
- Endo, K, Hakamada, Y, Takizawa, S, Kubota, H 2001A novel alkaline endoglucanase from an alkaliphilic Bacillus isolate: enzymatic properties, and nucleotide and deduced amino acid sequencesAppl. Microbiol. Biotechnol.57109116Google Scholar
- Hakamada, Y, Koike, K, Yoshimatsu, T, Mori, H, Kobayashi, T, Ito, S 1997Thermostable alkaline cellulase from an alkaliphilic isolate, Bacillus sp. KSM-S237Extremophiles1151156Google Scholar
- Hakamada, Y, Endo, K, Takizawa, S, Kobayashi, T, Shirai, T, Yamane, T, Ito, S 2002Enzymatic properties, crystallization, and deduced amino acid sequence of an alkaline endoglucanase from Bacillus circulansBiochim. Biophys. Acta.1570174180Google Scholar
- Horikoshi, K 1999Alkaliphiles: some applications of their products for biotechnologyMicrobiol. Mol. Biol. Rev.63735750Google Scholar
- Ito, S 1997Alkaline cellulase from alkalophilic Bacillus: enzymatic properties, genetics, and application to detergentsExtremophiles16166Google Scholar
- Ito, S, Kobayashi, T, Ara, K, Ozaki, K, Kawai, S, Hatada, Y 1998Alkaline detergent enzymes from alkaliphiles: enzymatic properties, genetics, and structuresExtremophiles2185190Google Scholar
- Kim, JY, Hur, SH, Hong, JH 2004Isolation and characterization of an alkaline cellulase produced by alkalophilic Bacillus sp. HSH-810Kor. J. Microbiol.40139146Google Scholar
- Priest, FG 1977Extracellular enzyme synthesis in the genus BacillusBacteriol. Rev.41711753Google Scholar
- Singh, J, Batra, N, Sobti, RC 2004Purification and characterization of alkaline cellulase produced by a novel isolate, Bacillus sphaericus JS1J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol.315156Google Scholar