Fabrication and properties of a porous chitin/chitosan conduit for nerve regeneration
- 302 Downloads
A porous, biodegradable, natural chitin/chitosan nerve conduit was constructed. Scanning electron microscopy confirmed that it was homogeneous and highly porous. FT-IR spectra showed that there were no residues arising from the preparation process in the conduit. Addition of chitin to the chitosan solution increased the mechanical strength and maximum tensile strength from 7.2 to 9.6 MPa. Preliminary animal tests indicated that porous chitin/chitosan conduits did not swell in vivo and were compatible with surrounding tissue.
Keywordschitin chitosan nerve conduit nerve regeneration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aebischer, P, Guenard, V, Valentini, RF 1990The morphology of regenerating peripheral nerves is modulated by the surface microgeometry of polymeric guidance channelsBrain Res.531211218Google Scholar
- Fansa, H, Schneider, W, Wolf, G 2002Host responses after acellular muscle basal lamina allografting used as a matrix for tissue engineered nerve graftsTransplantation74381387Google Scholar
- Gu, XS, Zhang, PY, Wang, XD, Ding, F, Peng, LP, Cheng, HB 2003Dog sciatic nerve gap repaired by artificial tissue nerve graftProg. Nat. Sci.13578583Google Scholar
- Itoh, S, Takakuda, K, Kawabata, S 2002Evaluation of cross-linking procedures of collagen tubes used in peripheral nerve repairBiomaterials2344754481Google Scholar
- Meek, MF, Coert, JH 2002Clinical use of nerve conduits in peripheral nerve repair: review of the literatureJ. Reconstr. Microsurg.1897109Google Scholar
- Seol, YJ, Lee, JY, Park, YJ, Lee, YM, Ku, Y, Rhyu, IC, Lee, SJ, Han, SB, Chung, CP 2004Chitosan sponges as tissue engineering scaffolds for bone formationBiotechnol. Lett.2610371041Google Scholar
- Simone, SS, Sonia, MCM, Rosangela, BG 2003Synthesis and characterization of polyuerethane-g-chitosanEur. Polymer J.3915151519Google Scholar
- Sundback, C, Hadlock, T, Cheney, M, Vacanti, J 2003Manufacture of porous polymer nerve conduits by a novel low-pressure injection moulding processBiomaterials24819830Google Scholar
- Wang, XH, Li, DP, Wang, WJ, Feng, QL 2003Crosslinked collagen/chitosan matrix for artificial liversBiomaterials2432133220Google Scholar
- Yamaguchi, I, Itoh, S, Suzuki, M, Osaka, A, Tanaka, J 2003The chitosan prepared from crab tendons: II. The chitosan/apatite composites and their application to nerve regenerationBiomaterials2432853292Google Scholar
- Yang, YM, Wang, JW, Tan, RX 2004Immobilization of glucose oxidase on chitosan-SiO 2 gelEnzyme Microb. Technol.34126131Google Scholar