Adventitious root growth and ginsenoside accumulation in Panax ginseng cultures as affected by methyl jasmonate
- 570 Downloads
Adventitious roots of ginseng were treated with methyl jasmonate (MJ) up to 150μm and cultured for 40days. Up to 100μm MJ inhibited the root growth but increase ginsenoside accumulation. In a two-stage bioreactor culture, total ginsenosides, after elicitation with 100 μm MJ peaked after 10days at 48mgg−1 dry wt and then dropped sharply. Of the two groups of ginsenosides (Rb and Rg), higher amounts of Rb accumulated in the adventitious roots.
Keywordsadventitious roots bioreactor cultures ginseng ginsenosides
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aoyagi, H, Kobayashi, Y, Yamada, K, Yokoyama, M, Kusakari, K, Tanaka, H 2001Efficient production of saikosaponins in Bupleurum falcatum root fragments combined with signal transducersAppl. Microbiol. Biotechnol.57482488Google Scholar
- Hahn, EJ, Kim, YS, Yu, KW, Jeong, CS, Paek, KY 2003Adventitious root cultures of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer and ginsenoside production through large-scale bioreactor systemJ. Plant Biotech.516Google Scholar
- Ketchum, REB, Gibson, DM, Croteau, RB, Shuler, ML 1999The kinetics of taxoid accumulation in cell suspension cultures of Taxus following elicitation with methyl jasmonateBiotechnol. Bioeng.6297105Google Scholar
- Palazon, J, Cusido, RM, Bonfill, M, Mallol, A, Moyano, E, Morales, C, Pinol, MT 2003Elicitation of different Panax ginseng transformed root phenotypes for an improved ginsenoside productionPlant Physiol. Biochem.4110191025Google Scholar
- Shin, YH, Kim, SC, Han, JW, Oh, JY, Jeong, OM, Shin, DH, Nah, SY 1997Ginseng protopanaxatriol saponins but not protopanaxadiol saponins inhibit spontaneous motility of intestineKoryo Insam Hakheochi.213538Google Scholar
- Wu, J, Zhong, JJ 1999Production of ginseng and its bioactive components in plant cell culture: current technological and applied aspects, JBiotechnol.688999Google Scholar
- Yu, KW, Gao, W, Hahn, EJ, Paek, KY 2002Jasmonic acid improving ginsenoside accumulation in adventitious root culture of Panax ginseng C.A. MeyerBiochem. Eng. J.11211215Google Scholar
- Yukimune, Y, Tabata, H, Higashi, Y, Hara, Y 1996Methyl jasmonate-induced overproduction of paclitaxel and baccatin III in Taxus cell suspension culturesNature Biotechnol.1411291132Google Scholar
- Zheng, GZ, Yang, CR 1994Sanchi (Panax notoginseng) Biology and ApplicationsScience PressBeijingin ChineseGoogle Scholar