Association of TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 Gene Polymorphisms with Progression of Liver Fibrosis in Patients with Type C Chronic Liver Disease
We examined the association of TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 gene polymorphisms with the progression of chronic liver disease related to the hepatitis C virus (HCV). We used PCR to analyze 188 patients with HCV-related liver disease (95 with chronic hepatitis and 93 with cirrhosis) for TIMP-1 372 T/C and TIMP-2 –418 G/C polymorphisms. Comparing chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis, there were no significant differences in TIMP-1 and TIMP-2 gene polymorphisms. Among chronic hepatitis patients, TIMP-2 –418 G homozygotes showed significantly faster fibrosis progression than C carriers. Among cirrhotic patients, males with the TIMP-1 372 T allele developed cirrhosis at a younger age, and patients who were homozygous for the higher-transcription TIMP-2 –418 G allele had significantly lower serum albumin concentrations. These results suggest that faster progression of liver fibrosis could be associated with TIMP-2 –418 G homozygotes.
KeywordsTIMP-1 TIMP-2 Liver fibrosis Genotype
- Hegab AE, Sakamoto T, Uchida Y, Nomura A, Ishii Y, Morishima Y, Mochizuki M, Kimura T, Saitoh W, Iizuka T, Kiwamoto T, Sekizawa K (2005) Promoter activity of human tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 gene with novel single nucleotide polymorphisms. Respirology 10:27–30PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hinterseher I, Krex D, Kuhlisch E, Schmidt KG, Pilarsky C, Schneiders W, Pilarsky C, Schneiders W, Saeger HD, Bergert H (2007) Tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 (TIMP-1) polymorphisms in a Caucasian population with abdominal aortic aneurysm. World J Surg 31:2248–2254PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meijer MJW, Mieremet-Ooms MAC, van Hogezand RA, Lamers CBHW, Hommes DW, Verspaget HW (2007) Role of matrix metalloproteinase, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase and tumor necrosis factor-alpha single nucleotide gene polymorphisms in inflammatory bowel disease. World J Gastroenterol 13:2960–2966PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Promrat K, McDermott DH, Gonzalez CM, Kleiner DE, Koziol DE, Lessie M, Merrell M, Soza A, Heller T, Ghany M, Park Y, Alter HJ, Hoofnagle JH, Murphy PM, Liang TJ (2003) Associations of chemokine system polymorphisms with clinical outcomes and treatment responses of chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology 124:352–360PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou Y, Yu C, Miao X, Tan W, Liang G, Xiong P, Sun T, Lin D (2004) Substantial reduction in risk of breast cancer associated with genetic polymorphisms in the promoters of the matrix metalloproteinase-2 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-2 genes. Carcinogenesis 25:399–404PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar