Simple Equipment for Effective Utilization of a Proton Accelerator for Medical Purposes
- 5 Downloads
We propose the use of a proton beam from any type of accelerator and a complex system for transporting the beam into three procedure rooms not containing gantries with the aim of decreasing the cost and dimensions of large-scale radiotherapy centers and improving their quality. Each procedure room has facilities to select the direction of irradiation over a quite wide range, with active distribution of the dose into the target volume and use of a mobile tomograph at the site of irradiation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shardt, D., Elsaesser, T., and Schulz-Ertner, D., “Heavy-ion tumor therapy: Physical and radiobiological benefits,” Rev. Modern Phys., 82. P. 383 (2010).Google Scholar
- 2.Durante, M. and Loeffler, J., “Charged particles in radiation oncology,” Nat. Rev. Clin. Oncol., 10, No. 7, 37-43 (2013).Google Scholar
- 3.Owen, H., Lomax, A., and Jolly, S., “Current and future accelerator technologies for charged particles,” Preprint Submitted to Therapy Nuclear Instrument and Physics Research, 6 May 2016.Google Scholar
- 4.Kats, M. M., “Comparison of the actions of proton and ion beams in radiation therapy,” Med. Fiz., No. 4, 22-25 (2014).Google Scholar
- 5.Deglovani, A., et al., A Single Room Proton Therapy Facility Based on a High-Gradient RF Linac, PTCOG52, Essen (2013).Google Scholar
- 9.Gerbershagen, F., et al., Novel Irradiation Concepts Enabled by Using Superconducting Magnets in Gantries, PSI PTCOG (2016).Google Scholar
- 10.Yan, S., Lu, H-M., Flanz, J., Adams, J., Trofimov, A., and Bortfeld, P., “Reassessment of the necessity of the proton gantry: Analysis of beam orientations from 4332 treatments at MGH Hospital Proton Center over the past 10 years,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 95, No. 1, 224-233 (2016).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kats, M. M., “New systems for irradiation of lying patients with heavy charged particle beams,” Pribory Tekhn. Eksperim., No. 2, 126-135 (2002).Google Scholar
- 12.Iversen, G., “Proton therapy minus the gantry: P-Cure at ASTRO,” ASTRO57, October 21, 2015. DOTmed HCB News.Google Scholar
- 14.Kats, M. M., “A flat system for transporting proton and ion beams to stationary irradiation centers with different directions instead of gantries,” Med. Fiz., No. 2, 82-87 (2016).Google Scholar