Numerical Modeling of Blood Flows in Rotary Pumps for Use in Pediatric Heart Surgery in Patients Undergoing the Fontan Procedure
- 9 Downloads
We present results from the first stage of numerical modeling of implanted rotary blood pumps which can be used in pediatric heart surgery in patients undergoing the Fontan procedure. Two three-dimensional models of pumps − the centrifugal and axial types − were constructed. Head pressure-flow characteristics were obtained for each model and the effects of pump geometry on blood flow at an operating point of 2.5 L/min were evaluated. Stagnation zones were identified by quantitative assessment of the volume of fluid with flow rates of 0-0.1 m/s. The distribution of flow lines was used to identify vortex zones. Numerical modeling of fluid flow in pumps was run in Fluent ANSYS 19.0 computational fluid dynamics software.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Selishchev, S. V. and Telyshev, D. V., “Ventricular assist device Sputnik: Description, technical features and characteristics,” Trends Biomat. Artif. Org., 29, No. 3, 207-210 (2015).Google Scholar
- 11.Lacour-Gayet, F. G., Lanning, C. J., Stoica, S., Wang, R., Rech, B. A., Goldberg, S., and Shandas, R., “An artificial right ventricle for failing Fontan: In vitro and computational study,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., 88, No. 1, 170-176 (2009).Google Scholar
- 13.Knobel, Z., Kellenberger, C. J., Kaiser, T., Albisetti, M., Bergsträsser, E., and Buechel, E. R., “Geometry and dimensions of the pulmonary artery bifurcation in children and adolescents: Assessment in vivo by contrast-enhanced MR-angiography,” Int. J. Cardiovasc. Imaging, 27, No. 3, 385-396 (2011).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Moazami, N., Fukamachi, K., Kobayashi, M., Smedira, N. G., Hoercher, K. J., Massiello, A., Lee, S., Horvath, D. J., and Starling, R. C., “Axial and centrifugal continuous-flow rotary pumps: A translation from pump mechanics to clinical practice,” J. Heart Lung Transplant., 32, No. 1, 1-11 (2013).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Fraser, K. H., Zhang, T., Taskin, M. E., et al., “A quantitative comparison of mechanical blood damage parameters in rotary ventricular assist devices: Shear stress, exposure time and hemolysis index,” J. Biomed. Eng., 134, No. 8 (2012).Google Scholar