Engineering ground motion record selection in the ITalian ACcelerometric Archive
- First Online:
This paper introduces REXELite, an internet version of REXEL, a software for automatic selection of ground motion suites for nonlinear dynamic analysis of structures. REXELite was developed with the aim of integrating an advanced earthquake records’ repository, such as the ITalian ACcelerometric Archive (ITACA), with a tool to define seismic input for engineering seismic analysis according to international standards (with priority to Europe). In fact, REXELite allows to define target design spectra according either to Eurocode 8 or to the Italian building code, and to search ITACA for suitable sets of seven records (comprised of one or two horizontal ground motion components) matching such target spectra: on average, in a user-specified period range, and with the desired tolerance. The records in the set also have, individually and according to some criteria, the most similar spectral shape with respect to that of the code. Selection options include magnitude, source-to-site distance, soil conditions and, if desired, linear scaling of records to reduce further record-to-record variability of the selected suite.
KeywordsResponse spectrum matching Dynamic analysis REXEL Performance-based earthquake engineering ITACA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bommer JJ, Acevedo A. (2004) The use of real earthquake accelerograms as input to dynamic analysis. J Earthquake Eng 8(S1): 43–91Google Scholar
- CEN, European Committee for Standardization (2003) Eurocode 8: Design provisions for earthquake resistance of structures, Part 1.1: general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, Pren 1998-1Google Scholar
- CS.LL.PP. (2008) DM 14 Gennaio 2008. Norme tecniche per le costruzioni. Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana, 29 (in Italian)Google Scholar
- CS.LL.PP. (2009) Istruzioni per l’applicazione delle norme tecniche delle costruzioni. Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana, 47 (in Italian)Google Scholar
- Iervolino I, Manfredi G (2008) A review of ground motion record selection strategies for dynamic structural analysis. In: Oreste S. Bursi, David J. Wagg (eds) Modern testing techniques of mechanical and structural systems, CISM courses and lectures 502, Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar
- Iervolino I, Galasso C, Cosenza E (2010b) Computer aided seismic input selection for the new Italian seismic code. Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica e Applicata 51(2-3): 187–201Google Scholar
- Pacor F, Paolucci R, De Sortis A, Gorini A, Spinelli A (2011a) Overview of the Italian strong motion database ITACA 1.0. Submitted for publication to Bull Earthquake Eng, this IssueGoogle Scholar
- Pacor F, Paolucci R, Ameri G, Massa M, Puglia R (2011b) Italian strong motion records in ITACA: overview and record processing. Submitted for publication to Bull Earthquake Eng, this IssueGoogle Scholar
- Paolucci R, Pacor F, Puglia R, Ameri G, Cauzzi C, Massa M (2011) Record processing in ITACA, the new Italian strong-motion database. In: Akkar et al. (eds) Earthquake Data in Engineering Seismology (Chap. 8) Geotechnical, Geological and earthquake engineering series, (114): 99–113, Springer, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar