Phenotype and Secretome of Monocyte-Derived Macrophages Interacting with Mesenchymal Stromal Cells under Conditions of Hypoxic Stress
- 3 Downloads
We studied the effect of short-term hypoxic stress on the phenotypic polarization of monocyte-derived macrophages and their secretory activity during interaction with mesenchymal stromal cells. In the presence of mesenchymal stromal cells, monocyte-derived macrophages exhibited the signs of M2 polarization, which was evidenced by increased expression of CD206 and CD163 markers, as well as increased transcription and translation of IL-6. Short-term hypoxic stress promoted a shift of macrophage phenotype from inflammatory M1 towards anti-inflammatory M2 in monoculture and co-culture with mesenchymal stromal cells. In addition to the immunoregulatory action, mesenchymal stromal cells demonstrated stromal activity and maintained high viability of monocyte-derived macrophages.
Key Wordsmonocytes/macrophages multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells hypoxia phenotype polarization secretome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Eggenhofer E, Hoogduijn MJ. Mesenchymal stem cell-educated macrophages. Transplant. Res. 2012;1(1). ID 12. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/2047-1440-1-12
- 10.Kim J, Hematti P. Mesenchymal stem cell-educated macrophages: a novel type of alternatively activated macrophages. Еxp. Hematol. 2009;37(12):1445-1453.Google Scholar
- 14.Ren G, Zhao X, Zhang L, Zhang J, L’Huillier A, Ling W, Roberts AI, Le AD, Shi S, Shao C, Shi Y. Inflammatory cytokine-induced intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 in mesenchymal stem cells are critical for immunosuppression. J. Immunol. 2010;184(5):2321-2328.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Varesio L, Raggi F, Pelassa S, Pierobon D, Cangelosi D, Giovarelli M, Bosco MC. Hypoxia reprograms human macrophages towards a proinflammatory direction. J. Immunol. 2016;196(1, Suppl). ID 201.2.Google Scholar
- 18.Vasandan AB, Jahnavi S, Shashank C, Prasad P, Kumar A, Prasanna SJ. Human Mesenchymal stem cells program macrophage plasticity by altering their metabolic status via a PGE2-dependent mechanism. Sci. Rep. 2016;6. ID 38308. doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/srep38308
- 19.Wang N, Liang H, Zen K. Molecular mechanisms that influence the macrophage m1-m2 polarization balance. Front. Immunol. 2014;5. ID 614. doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2014.00614