Age-Specific Features of Hypoxia Tolerance and Intensity of Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Systemic Inflammatory Response in Wistar Rats
- 7 Downloads
Hypoxia tolerance and the intensity of systemic inflammatory response during endotoxemia were examined in newborn, prepubertal, and mature Wistar rats. To assess the sensitivity to hypoxia, the rats were placed into a pressure chamber simulating an altitude of 11,500 m. The systemic inflammatory response was provoked by intraperitoneal injection of LPS from E. coli O26:B6. Serum concentrations of HIF-1α, neopterin, C-reactive protein, and endotoxin were measured. In histological sections of the liver, the area of necrosis was assessed. The smallest tolerance of the prepubertal males to hypoxia correlated with the greatest manifestations of hepatic inflammation and elevated endotoxin, neopterin, and C-reactive protein. Elevation of serum HIF-1α in 3 h after LPC injection was observed in only prepubertal rats. The data obtained should be taken into account during the development of therapeutic strategy for prepubertal children with infectious and inflammatory diseases.
Key Wordshypoxia inflammation HIF-1α prepubertant period endotoxemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lyalikov SA, Makarchik AV, Evets LV, Orekhov SD, Paramonova NS, Baigot SI, Slabodskaya NS, Troyan EI. Functional state of the endocrine system in children from different regions of Belarus. Results of 5-year observation. Ecological Anthropology (annual). Minsk, 1996. P. 160-167. Russian.Google Scholar
- 4.Khaytsev NV, Vasiliev AG, Trashkov AP, Kravtsova AA, Balashov LD. The influence of sex and age upon response of white rats to hypoxic hypoxia. Pediatr. 2015;6(2):71-77. Russian.Google Scholar
- 9.Clambey ET, McNamee EN, Westrich JA, Glover LE, Campbell EL, Jedlicka P, de Zoeten EF, Cambier JC, Stenmark KR, Colgan SP, Eltzschig HK. Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alphadependent induction of FoxP3 drives regulatory T-cell abundance and function during inflammatory hypoxia of the mucosa. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 2012;109(41):E2784-E2793.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Eisenhut M. Neopterin in diagnosis and monitoring of infectious diseases. J. Biomark. 2013. ID 196432. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/196432.
- 11.Eshima N, Tokumaru O, Hara S, Bacal K, Korematsu S, Karukaya S, Uruma K, Okabe N, Matsuishi T. Age-specific sex-related differences in infections: a statistical analysis of national surveillance data in Japan. PLoS One. 2012;7(7):e42261. doi: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0042261.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Esteban E, Ferrer R, Alsina L, Artigas A. Immunomodulation in sepsis: the role of endotoxin removal by polymyxin Bimmobilized cartridge. Mediators Inflamm. 2013. ID 507539. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/507539.