Ultrastructural Characteristics of Placental Telocytes
Telocytes of placental villi were studied by electronic microscopy during physiological pregnancy. Ultrastructural features of telocytes indicating their heterogeneity and presence of at least three types of villi depending on their localization and kind were observed. All placental telocytes were characterized by small amount of organelles including mitochondria. Presence of long thin processes, which generated a branching network by contacting with each other, served as a typical feature of telocytes including telocytes of the stroma and intermediate villi. Telocytes were absent in the terminal villi.
Key Wordsphysiological pregnancy villous tree of the placenta telocyte fibroblast myofibroblast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nizyaeva NV, Marey MV, Sukhikh GT, Stchegolev AI. Interstitial pacemaker cells. Vestn. Ross. Akad. Med. Nauk. 2014;(7-8):17-24. Russian.Google Scholar
- 2.Shchyogolev AI, Dubova EA, Pavlov KA. Morphology of Placenta. Moscow, 2010. Russian.Google Scholar
- 3.Benirschke K, Burton GJ, Baergen RN. Pathology of the Human Placenta. New York, 2012.Google Scholar
- 8.Nizyaeva N, Sukhacheva T, Serov R, Kulikova G, Shchyogolev A, Sukhikh G. Immunohystochemical and ultrastructure features of interstitial Cajal like cells in placenta villi in case of intrauterine growth restriction. Virchows Arch. 2015;467(Suppl. 1):S159. PS-09-108.Google Scholar
- 10.Popescu LM, Nicolescu MI. Telocytes and stem cells. Resident stem cells and regenerative therapy. Goldenberg R, Campos de Carvalho AC, eds. New York, 2013. P. 205-231.Google Scholar