Neurons and Stromal Stem Cells as Targets for Polycation-Mediated Transfection
- 77 Downloads
Expression of transgenes in neurons and stromal/mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) can greatly enhance their therapeutic potential. In transfection experiments, we studied properties of linear and branched (dendrimers) polycations as transgene delivery vehicles. Linear polyethyleneimine transfected neurons, but was ineffective in MSC. Polyamidoamine dendrimers showed greater transfection efficiency and mean GFP fluorescence intensity compared to phosphorus dendrimers of the same (4th) generation. Expression of neurotrophic factor BDNF in MSC transfected with polyamidoamine dendrimers was also by more than 10 times higher.
Key Wordsneurons stromal/mesenchymal stem cells transfection polyethylenimine dendrimers brain-derived neurotrophic factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Shakhbazau, N. A. Zgurskaya, N. A. Kartel, and V. A. Goranov, Vesti NAN Belarusi, Ser. Biol. Nauk, No. 3, 40-43 (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Shakhbazau, S. M. Kosmacheva, N. A. Kartel, and M. P. Potapnev, Tsitologiya i Genetika, 44, No. 1, 76-82 (2010).Google Scholar
- 6.Culture of Human Stem Cells, Eds. R. I. Freshney et al., Hoboken (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.J. V. Heymach Jr., A. Kruttgen, U. Suter, and E. M. Shooter, J. Biol. Chem., 271, No. 41, 25,430-25,437 (1996).Google Scholar
- 13.M. W. Ronsyn, J. Daans, G. Spaepen, et al., BMC Biotechnol., No. 7, 90-107 (2007).Google Scholar
- 14.J. Sambrook, T. Maniatis, and E. F. Fritsch, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, N.-Y. (1989).Google Scholar