Global image signature for visual loop-closure detection
- 518 Downloads
This work details a new method for loop-closure detection based on using multiple orthogonal projections to generate a global signature for each image of a video sequence. The new multi-projection function permits the detection of images corresponding to the same scene, but taken from different points of view. The signature generation process preserves enough information for robust loop-closure detection, although it transforms each image to a simple and compact representation. Thanks to these characteristics, a real-time operation is possible, even for long sequences with thousands of images. In addition, it has proved to work on very different scenarios without the need to change the parameters or to perform an onffline training stage, which makes it very independent on the environment and camera configuration. Results of an extensive set of experiments of the algorithm on several datasets, both indoors and outdoors and including underwater scenarios, are presented. Furthermore, an implementation, named HALOC, is available at a public repository as a C++ library for its use under the BSD license.
KeywordsLoop-closure detection Global image descriptor Autonomous robots Visual localization
This work is partially supported by Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness under contracts TIN2014-58662-R, DPI2014-57746-C3-2-R, Govern de les Illes Balears (AAEE60/2014) and FEDER funds.
- Arandjelovic, R., & Zisserman, A. (2013). All about vlad. In 2013 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) (pp. 1578–1585). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Bay, H., Tuytelaars, T., & Van Gool, L. (2006). Surf: Speeded up robust features. In Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) (pp. 404–417). Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Calonder, M., Lepetit, V., Strecha, C., & Fua, P. (2010). Brief: Binary robust independent elementary features. In Proceedings of IEEE European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV).Google Scholar
- Clemente, L. A., Davison, A. J., Reid, I. D., Neira, J., & Tardós, J. D. (2007). Mapping large loops with a single hand-held camera. In Proceedings of Robotics: Science and Systems.Google Scholar
- Cummins, M., & Newman, P. (2008). Accelerated appearance-only slam. In IEEE international conference on Robotics and automation, 2008 (ICRA 2008) (pp. 1828–1833). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Cummins, M. & Newman, P. (2008) The oxford mobile robotics group datasets, 2008. http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~mobile/IJRR_2008_Dataset/data.html.
- Cummins, M., & Newman, P. (2010) Fab-map: Appearance-based place recognition and mapping using a learned visual vocabulary model. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Learning Google Scholar
- Diephuis, M., Voloshynovskiy, S., Koval, O., & Beekhof, F. (2011) Statistical analysis of binarized sift descriptors. In 7th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (ISPA) (pp. 460–465). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Filliat, D. (2007) A visual bag of words method for interactive qualitative localization and mapping. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (pp. 3921–3926). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Geiger, A., Ziegler, J., & Stiller, C. (2011). Stereoscan: Dense 3d reconstruction in real-time. In IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Baden-Baden, June 2011.Google Scholar
- Gionis, A., Indyk, P., Motwani, R., et al. (1999). Similarity search in high dimensions via hashing. VLDB, 99, 518–529.Google Scholar
- Glover, A., Maddern, W., Warren, M., Reid, S., Milford, M., & Wyeth, G.: (2011). Openfabmap: An open source toolbox for appearance-based loop closure detection. In The International Conference on Robotics and Automation, St Paul, Minnesota, 2011. IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Hartley, R., & Zisserman, A. (2003) Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. ISBN: 0521623049.Google Scholar
- Jégou, H., Douze, M., Schmid, C., & Pérez, P. (2010) Aggregating local descriptors into a compact image representation. In IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2010 (pp. 3304–3311). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Lin, S., Ozsu, M. T., Oria, V., & Ng, R. (2001). An extendible hash for multi-precision similarity querying of image databases. In Proceedings of International Conference of Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), 1, 221–230.Google Scholar
- Liu, M., & Siegwart, R. (2012). Dp-fact: Towards topological mapping and scene recognition with color for omnidirectional cameras. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) (pp. 3503–3508), May 2012.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y., & Zhang, H. (2012). Visual loop closure detection with a compact image descriptor. In Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 1051–1056).Google Scholar
- Mıhçak, M. K., & Venkatesan, R. (2002) New iterative geometric methods for robust perceptual image hashing. In Security and privacy in digital rights management (pp. 13–21). Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Milford, M., & Wyeth, G. (2012). Visual route-based navigation for sunny summer days and stormy winter nights. In The International Conference on Robotics and Automation Google Scholar
- Negre, P. L., & Bonin-Font, F. (2014) libhaloc. Retrieved May 2014 from, https://github.com/srv/libhaloc.
- Roy, S., Zhu, X., Yuan, J., & Chang, E. C. (2007). On preserving robustness-false alarm tradeoff in media hashing. In SPIE Proceedings on Visual Communications and Image Processing, vol. 6508.Google Scholar
- Schaefer, G., & Stich, M. (2004). Ucid—an uncompressed colour image database. In Proceedings of SPIE, Storage and Retrieval Methods and Applications for Multimedia (pp. 472–480), San Jose.Google Scholar
- Shahbazi, H., & Zhang, H. (2011). Application of locality sensitive hashing to realtime loop closure detection. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems(IROS) (pp. 1228–1233), San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Sünderhauf, N., & Protzel, P. (2011). Brief-gist - closing the loop by simple means. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS).Google Scholar
- Sunderhauf, N., & Protzel, P. (2011). Brief-gist-closing the loop by simple means. In IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 1234–1241). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Ulrich, I., & Nourbakhsh, I. (2000). Appearance-based place recognition for topological localization. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2000 (ICRA’00) (vol. 2, pp. 1023–1029). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Vedaldi, A., & Fulkerson, B. (2008). VLFeat: An open and portable library of computer vision algorithms. http://www.vlfeat.org/.
- Venkatesan, R., Koon, S. M., Jakubowski, M. H., & Moulin, P. (2000) Robust image hashing. In Proceedings of International Conference on Image Processing, 2000 (vol. 3, pp. 664–666). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Wan, J., Ruan, Q., Li, W., & Deng, S. (2013). One-shot learning gesture recognition from RGB-D data using bag of features. The Journal of Machine Learning Research, 14(1), 2549–2582.Google Scholar
- Williams, B., Cummins, M., Neira, J., Newman, P., Reid, I., & Tardós, J. (2008). An image-to-map loop closing method for monocular slam. In IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2008 (IROS 2008) (pp. 2053–2059). IEEE, Piscataway.Google Scholar
- Wirth, S., Negre Carrasco, P. L., & Oliver, G. (2013). Visual odometry for autonomous underwater vehicles. In Proceedings of the IEEE Oceans, Bergen.Google Scholar