Cooperative bathymetry-based localization using low-cost autonomous underwater vehicles
- 567 Downloads
We present a cooperative bathymetry-based localization approach for a team of low-cost autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs), each equipped only with a single-beam altimeter, a depth sensor and an acoustic modem. The localization of the individual AUV is achieved via fully decentralized particle filtering, with the local filter’s measurement model driven by the AUV’s altimeter measurements and ranging information obtained through inter-vehicle communication. We perform empirical analysis on the factors that affect the filter performance. Simulation studies using randomly generated trajectories as well as trajectories executed by the AUVs during field experiments successfully demonstrate the feasibility of the technique. The proposed cooperative localization technique has the potential to prolong AUV mission time, and thus open the door for long-term autonomy underwater.
KeywordsCooperative localization Autonomous underwater vehicle Rao-Blackwellized particle filter Acoustic ranging
This work was supported by Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) graduate fellowship. The authors wish to thank the Hovergroup, WAVES lab and STARFISH team for obtaining the experimental data, and Dr. Bharath Kaylan for providing bathymetric maps.
- Anonsen, K., & Hallingstad, O. (2006). Terrain aided underwater navigation using point mass and particle filters. In Position, location, and navigation symposium, 2006 IEEE/ION (pp. 1027–1035). doi: 10.1109/PLANS.2006.1650705.
- Arrichiello, F., Antonelli, G., Aguiar, A., & Pascoal, A. (2011). Observability metric for the relative localization of auvs based on range and depth measurements: Theory and experiments. In 2011 IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS) (pp. 3166–3171). doi: 10.1109/IROS.2011.6094466.
- Bahr, A., Walter, M., & Leonard, J. (2009b). Consistent cooperative localization. In IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA), Kobe, Japan. doi: 10.1109/ROBOT.2009.5152859.
- Carreno, S., Wilson, P., Ridao, P., & Petillot, Y. (2010). A survey on terrain based navigation for AUVs. In OCEANS 2010 (pp. 1–7). doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2010.5664372.
- Cover, T. M., & Thomas, J. A. (2006). Wiley series in telecommunications and signal processing. Elements of information theory (2nd ed.). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Curcio, J., Leonard, J., & Patrikalakis, A. (2005). Scout: a low cost autonomous surface platform for research in cooperative autonomy. In OCEANS, 2005. Proceedings of MTS/IEEE (Vol. 1, pp. 725–729). doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2005.1639838.
- Doucet, A., Freitas, Nd., Murphy, K. P., & Russell, S. J. (2000). Rao-blackwellised particle filtering for dynamic bayesian networks. In Proceedings of the 16th conference on uncertainty in artificial intelligence, UAI’00 (pp. 176–183). San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Fairfield, N., & Wettergreen, D. (2008). Active localization on the ocean floor with multibeam sonar. In OCEANS 2008 (pp. 1–10). doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2008.5151853.
- Fairfield, N., Kantor, G. A., & Wettergreen, D. (2006). Towards particle filter SLAM with three dimensional evidence grids in a flooded subterranean environment. In Proceedings of ICRA 2006 (pp. 3575–3580).Google Scholar
- Fallon, M. F., Kaess, M., Johannsson, H., & Leonard J. J. (2011). Efficient AUV navigation fusing acoustic ranging and side-scan sonar. In IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA), Shanghai.Google Scholar
- Fearnhead, P. (1998). Sequential monte carlo methods in filter theory, University of Oxford. PhD thesis.Google Scholar
- Gadre, A., & Stilwell, D. (2005). A complete solution to underwater navigation in the presence of unknown currents based on range measurements from a single location. In IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2005. (IROS 2005) (pp. 1420–1425). doi: 10.1109/IROS.2005.1545230.
- Jiang, B., & Ravindran, B. (2011). Completely distributed particle filters for target tracking in sensor networks. In Parallel Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2011 IEEE International (pp. 334–344). doi: 10.1109/IPDPS.2011.40.
- Kalyan, B., & Chitre, M. (2013). A feasibility analysis on using bathymetry for navigation of autonomous underwater vehicles. In Proceedings of the 28th Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, ACM, New York, NY, SAC’13 (pp. 229–231). doi: 10.1145/2480362.2480411.
- Karlsson, R., & Gustafsson, F. (2003). Particle filter for underwater terrain navigation. In IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing (pp. 526–529). doi: 10.1109/SSP.2003.1289507.
- Koay, T. B., Tan, Y. T., Eng, Y. H., Gao, R., Chitre, M., Chew, J. L., et al. (2011). STARFISH-a small team of autonomous robotic fish. Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, 20(2), 157–167.Google Scholar
- Lanz, O. (2007). An information theoretic rule for sample size adaptation in particle filtering. In International conference on image analysis and processing (pp. 317–322).Google Scholar
- Maczka, D., Gadre, A., & Stilwell, D. (2007). Implementation of a cooperative navigation algorithm on a platoon of autonomous underwater vehicles. In OCEANS 2007 (pp. 1–6). doi: 10.1109/OCEANS.2007.4449404.
- Maurya, P., Teixeira, F. C., & Pascoal, A. (2012). Complementary terrain/single beacon-based AUV navigation. In Proceedings of the IFAC workshop on navigation, guidance and control of underwater vehicles (NGCUV’2012), Porto (pp. 10–12).Google Scholar
- Meduna, D., Rock, S., & McEwen, R. (2010). Closed-loop terrain relative navigation for AUVs with non-inertial grade navigation sensors. In Autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV), 2010 IEEE/OES (pp. 1–8). doi: 10.1109/AUV.2010.5779659.
- Nordlund, P. J. (2002). Sequential Monte Carlo filters and integrated navigation, Linkopings universitet. PhD thesis.Google Scholar
- Nordlund, P. J., & Gustafsson, F. (2001). Sequential Monte Carlo filtering techniques applied to integrated navigation systems. In Proceedings of the American Control Conference (Vol. 6, pp. 4375–4380). doi: 10.1109/ACC.2001.945666.
- Roman, C., & Singh, H. (2005). Improved vehicle based multibeam bathymetry using sub-maps and SLAM. In IEEE/RSJ International conference on intelligent robots and systems, (IROS 2005) (pp. 3662–3669).Google Scholar
- Rosencrantz, M., Gordon, G., & Thrun, S. (2003). Decentralized sensor fusion with distributed particle filters. In Proceedings of the nineteenth conference on uncertainty in artificial intelligence, UAI’03 (pp. 493–500) San Francisco, CA: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Rui, G., & Chitre, M. (2010). Cooperative positioning using range-only measurements between two AUVs. In OCEANS 2010 IEEE-Sydney (pp. 1–6). doi: 10.1109/OCEANSSYD.2010.5603615.
- Sheng, X., Hu, Y. H., & Ramanathan, P. (2005). Distributed particle filter with GMM approximation for multiple targets localization and tracking in wireless sensor network. In Fourth international symposium on information processing in sensor networks, 2005. IPSN 2005 (pp. 181–188). doi: 10.1109/IPSN.2005.1440923.
- Smith, R. N., Chao, Y., Li, P. P., Caron, D. A., Jones, B. H., & Sukhatme, G. S. (2010). Planning and implementing trajectories for autonomous underwater vehicles to track evolving ocean processes based on predictions from a regional ocean model. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 29(12), 1475–1497. doi: 10.1177/0278364910377243.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tan, YT., Chitre, M. (2012). Direct policy search with variable-length genetic algorithm for single beacon cooperative path planning. In International symposium on distributed autonomous robotic systems (DARS). Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Teixeira, F. C. (2007). Terrain-aided navigation and geophysical navigation of autonomous underwater vehicles. PhD thesis, Dynamical systems and ocean robotics lab, Lisbon.Google Scholar
- Teixeira, F. C., Pascoal, A., & Maurya, P. (2012a). A novel particle filter formulation with application to terrain-aided navigation. In Proceedings of IFAC workshop on navigation, guidance and control of underwater vehicles (NGCUV’2012) (pp 10–12). Porto.Google Scholar
- Teixeira, F. C., Quintas, J., & Pascoal, A. (2012b). AUV terrain-aided doppler navigation using complementary filtering. In Proceedings of IFAC conference on manoeuvring and control of marine craft (MCMC’2012). Arenzano.Google Scholar
- Vickery, K. (1998). Acoustic positioning systems. a practical overview of current systems. In Proceedings of the 1998 workshop on autonomous underwater vehicles, 1998. AUV’98 (pp. 5–17). doi: 10.1109/AUV.1998.744434.