Iterated D-SLAM map joining: evaluating its performance in terms of consistency, accuracy and efficiency
- 302 Downloads
This paper presents a new map joining algorithm and a set of metrics for evaluating the performance of mapping techniques.
The input to the new map joining algorithm is a sequence of local maps containing the feature positions and the final robot pose in a local frame of reference. The output is a global map containing the global positions of all the features but without any robot poses. The algorithm is built on the D-SLAM mapping algorithm (Wang et al. in Int. J. Robot. Res. 26(2):187–204, 2007) and uses iterations to improve the estimates in the map joining step. So it is called Iterated D-SLAM Map Joining (I-DMJ). When joining maps I-DMJ ignores the odometry information connecting successive maps. This is the key to I-DMJ efficiency, because it makes both the information matrix exactly sparse and the size of the state vector bounded by the number of features.
The paper proposes metrics for quantifying the performance of different mapping algorithms focusing on evaluating their consistency, accuracy and efficiency. The I-DMJ algorithm and a number of existing SLAM algorithms are evaluated using the proposed metrics. The simulation data sets and a preprocessed Victoria Park data set used in this paper are made available to enable interested researchers to compare their mapping algorithms with I-DMJ.
KeywordsSLAM Consistency Sparse matrix
- Bailey, T., Nieto, J., Guivant, J., Stevens, M., & Nebot, E. (2006). Consistency of the EKF-SLAM algorithm. In Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS) (pp. 3562–3568). Beijing, China, October 9–15, 2006. Google Scholar
- Frese, U. (2007). Efficient 6-DOF SLAM with Treemap as a generic backend. In Proceedings of 2007 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 4814–4819). Rome, Italy, 10–14 April 2007. Google Scholar
- Grisetti, G., Rizzini, D. L., Stachniss, C., Olson, E., & Burgard, W. (2008). Online constraint network optimization for efficient maximum likelihood mapping. In Proceedings of 2008 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA), Pasadena, California, May 19–23, 2008. Google Scholar
- Hertzberg, C. (2008). A framework for sparse, non-linear least squares problems on manifolds. Master Thesis, University of Bremen, 2008. Google Scholar
- Huang, S., Wang, Z., & Dissanayake, G. (2006). Mapping large-scale environments using relative position information among landmarks. In Proceedings of 2006 international conference on robotics and automation (pp. 2297–2302). Google Scholar
- Huang, G. P., Mourikis, A. I., & Roumeliotis, S. I. (2008a). Analysis and improvement of the consistency of Extended Kalman Filter-based SLAM. In Proc. IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA’08) (pp. 473–479). Pasadena, CA, May 19–23, 2008. Google Scholar
- Huang, S., Wang, Z., Dissanayake, G., & Frese, U. (2008c). Iterated SLSJF: A sparse local submap joining algorithm with improved consistency. In 2008 Australiasan conference on robotics and automation. Canberra, December 2008. Available online: http://www.araa.asn.au/acra/acra2008/papers/pap102s1.pdf.
- Kaess, M., Ranganathan, A., & Dellaert, F. (2007). iSAM: Fast incremental smoothing and mapping with efficient data association. In Proceedings of 2007 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 1670–1677). Rome, Italy, 10–14 April, 2007. Google Scholar
- Ni, K., Steedly, D., & Dellaert, F. (2007). Tectonic SAM: Exact, out-of-core, submap-based SLAM. In Proceedings of 2007 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 1678–1685). Rome, Italy, 10–14 April 2007. Google Scholar
- Paz, L. M., Pinies, P., Neira, J., & Tardos, J. D. (2005). Global localization in SLAM in bilinear time. In Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS) (pp. 655–661). Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, August 2–6, 2005. Google Scholar
- Paz, L. M., Guivant, J., Tardos, J. D., & Neira, J. (2007). Data association in O(n) for Divide and Conquer SLAM. In Proceedings of 2007 robotics: science and systems, June 27–30, Atlanta, USA. Google Scholar
- Press, W. H., Teukolsky, S. A., Vetterling, W. T., & Flannery, B. P. (1992). Numerical recipes (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Google Scholar