Basic Concepts of a Modular Fast Sodium Reactor with Metallic Fuel
The conceptual precepts of a modular fast sodium reactor with mixed uranium-plutonium zirconium-alloy metal fuel (U–Pu–Zr) related to Gen-IV are presented. The range of its parameters is determined, and the parameters are optimized in order to meet the characteristic requirements of the development of a nuclear power system in terms of safety, competitiveness, and resource availability. It was shown with the aid of computational studies that in a modular reactor, in spite of its small size, the systems requirements in terms of specific load and excess production are met and the minimum reactivity excess on burnup is realized. Loading metallic fuel into the core and thorium into the breeding zone and using fuel cycles compatible with thermal reactors it becomes much easier to solve the problems of supplying fuel for nuclear power and managing actinides and plutonium in the nuclear fuel cycle.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Status of Small and Medium Sized Reactor Designs, a Supplement to the IAEA Advanced Reactors Information System (ARIS), IAEA, Vienna(2011).Google Scholar
- 2.V. M. Novikov, I. S. Slesarev, P. N. Alekseev, et al., Nuclear Reactors with Enhanced Safety (analysis of design concepts), Energoatomizdat, Moscow (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Matveev and Yu. S. Khomyakov, Technical Physics of Sodium-Cooled Fast Reactors, V. I. Pachkov (ed.), Izd. MEI, Moscow (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.Status and Trends of Nuclear Fuels Technology for Sodium Cooled Fast Reactors, IAEA Tech. Rep. Nucl. Energy Ser. No. NF-T-4.1, IAEA, Vienna (2011). Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. M. Golovchenko, Scientific and Technical Validation of Absorbing, Breeding, and Fuel Rods with Kernels Based on Metallic Uranium for BN-Type Fast Reactors: Doct. Dissert. in Techn. Sci., Dimitrovgrad (2002).Google Scholar
- 7.L. N. Yaroslavtseva, P. A. Fomichenko, and P. N. Alekseev, “Verification of stationary and nonstationary algorithms in the JAR complex,” in: Neutronics-92, Obninsk (1994), pp. 34–37.Google Scholar
- 10.V. Kuznetsov and N. Barkatullah, Approaches to Assess Competitiveness of Small and Medium Sized Reactors, IAEA, Vienna (2013).Google Scholar