Dynamics of Power Pulses in a Research Reactor with Neptunium Nuclear Fuel
- 16 Downloads
The current trend in neutron-aided scientific research presupposes the development of new high-intensity pulsed sources. One variant of such an installation could be a pulsed reactor with a fissile-isotope core – 237Np. The present work is devoted to a study of the dynamics of power pulses of a neptunium reactor taking account of fast temperature feedback during pulse buildup. The problem is reduced to a simple model of a single frequency oscillator combined with the equation of single point kinetics of a reactor neglecting delayed neutrons. It is shown that on the basis of such an approximation, owing to feedback on the temperature of a fuel element the estimated energy of accidental power pulses decreases by almost a factor of 10 compared with a calculation neglecting fast feedback.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. L. Aksenov, V. D. Anan’ev, G. G. Komyshev, et al., “On the limit of neutron fluxes in pulsed sources based on fission reaction,” Pisma EChAYa, 14, No. 5, 556–570 (2017).Google Scholar
- 2.I. I. Bondarenko and Yu. Ya. Stavisskii, “Pulsed operating regime of a fast reactor,” At. Energ., 7, No 5, 417–420 (1959).Google Scholar
- 3.E. P. Shabalin, Pulsed to Fast Reactors, Atomizdat, Moscow (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Shabalin, “Stochastic dynamics of a periodic pulsed reactor,” in: Proc. of the 1990 Intern. Fast Reactor Safety Meeting, Snowbird, Utah, Aug. 12–16, 1990, Vol. 3, p. 279.Google Scholar
- 8.V. F. Kolesov, Aperiodic Pulsed Reactors, RFYaTs–VNIIEF, Sarov (1999).Google Scholar
- 9.D. Hetrik, Dynamics of Nuclear Reactors, Atomizdat, Moscow (1975).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Ya. Kramarov and Ya. V. Shevelev, Engineering Calculations of Nuclear Reactors, Energoatomizdat, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.V. L. Lomidze, “Fuel dynamics in pulsed reactor: oscillations of cladded rods,” At. Energ., 35, No. 2, 123 (1973).Google Scholar