RBMK Uranium-Erbium Fuel
- 3 Downloads
The history of the development and adoption of erbium fuel in RBMK is described. Research performed at the end of the 1980s – beginning of 1990s led to the conclusion that the optimal method of decreasing the steam coefficient of reactivity in RBMK is to add a consumable absorber – erbium. Computational and experimental work on the safety validation of the new fuel made it possible to adopt this fuel first in RBMK-1500 and then in RBMK-1000. The use of uranium-erbium fuel in RBMK made it possible to increase reactor safety, provide the requisite conditions for modernizing control rods, reduce the acuteness of the problem of storing spent fuel, and improve the economic indices of the fuel cycle. Considering the heightened interest in the use of erbium as a consumable absorber in VVER and some other reactors, the experience gained in developing and operating uranium-erbium fuel for RBMK could be helpful.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. P. Borshchev, E. V. Burlakov, A. D. Zhirnov, et al., “Neutronic characteristics of RBMK reactors before an accident and after taking measures to increase safety,” Vopr. At. Nauki Tekhn. Ser. Fiz. Yad. Reakt., No. 1, 20 –26 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Fedosov, “Effect of consumable absorbers on dewatering of RBMK,” At. Energ., 75, No. 1, 67–69 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.V. N. Shevaldin, G. P. Negrivoda, B. A. Vorontsov, et al., “Experience in using uranium-erbium fuel at the Ignalina NPP,” At. Energ., 85, No. 2, 91–97 (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.M. N. Babaytsev, A. M. Fedosov, A. V. Krayushkin, et al., The STEPAN Сode for RBMK Reactor Calculation, Preprint IAE-5660/5 (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. V. Alimov, S. V. Barinov, P. B. Kuznetsov, et al., “General description of the SADCO code for neutron and thermohydraulic calculations of channel reactors of the RBMK type,” Safety Problems of Nuclear Power Installations: Abst. 9th Seminar on the Problems of Reactor Physics, Moscow, Sept. 4–8, 1995, MIPhI, Moscow (1995), Vol. 1, pp. 220–222.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Vorontsov, G. Krivoshein, A. Yurkyavichus, et al., “Improvement of the cores of RBMK - 1500 reactors at the Ignalina NPP: adoption of uranium-erbium fuel,” Energetika (Journal of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences), No. 1, 45–49 (2007).Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Bystrikov, A. K. Egorov, V. I. Ivanov, et al., “Experience in using uranium-erbium fuel in power-generating units with RBMK-1000,” At. Energ., 100, No. 3, 165–170 (2006).Google Scholar