Effect of Mass Variation on the Radial Oscillations of Differentially Rotating and Tidally Distorted Polytropic Stars
A method is proposed to compute the eigenfrequencies of small adiabatic pseudo-radial modes of oscillations of differentially rotating and tidally distorted stellar models by taking into account the effect of mass variations on its equipotential surface inside the stars. The developed approach has been used to compute certain radial modes of oscillations of polytropic models with polytropic indices 1.5, 3.0 and 4.0. The results obtained have been compared with results obtained earlier without taking into account the mass variation. Certain conclusions based on this study have been drawn.
KeywordsMass variation equipotential surface rotation and tidal distortions polytropic models
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.C. C. Lovekin and R. G. Deupre, Astrophys. J., 679, 199, 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.A. K. Lal, C. Mohan and V. P. Singh, Indian J. Pure Appl. Math., 32, 1576, 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.A. K. Lal, A. Pathania, and C. Mohan, Proc. R. Soc. London, A, doi: 10.1098/rspa.2011.0182, published online 2012, Nov 3.
- 19.S. Kumar, A. K. Lal, V. P. Singh, and S. Saini, World J. Model. and Simul., 7, 206, 2011.Google Scholar
- 21.S. Kumar, A. K. Lal, V. P. Singh, and H. G. Sharma, Int. J. Appl. Phys., 1, 69, 2011.Google Scholar
- 22.R. Kippenhahn and H. C. Thomas, A simple method for the solution of stellar structure equations including rotation and tidal forces, Stellar Rotation, ed. A.Slettebak, D.Reidel, Dordrecht, Holland, 20-29, 1970.Google Scholar