Initial spin periods of neutron stars in supernova remnants
- 208 Downloads
We present estimates of initial spin periods, P 0, for radio pulsars associated with supernova remnants. By using the published data on 30 objects, we were able to derive a reliable estimate for the initial spin period, assuming standard magneto-dipole spin-down (braking index n=3), in many cases. Our set of estimates is still not sufficient to infer the exact shape of the initial period distribution. However, we show that a gaussian distribution with mean and deviation ∼0.1 s is consistent with our results, while flat, wide distributions and very narrow ones are disfavored.
We thank Andrea Possenti for some helpful comments on the paper. SP also thanks Anton Biryukov and Andrei Igoshev for discussions. The work of S.P. was supported by RFBR grants (10-02-00599, 12-02-00186) and by the Federal program for scientific and educational staff (02.740.11.0575). RT acknowledges financial support by INAF through a PRIN 2011 grant. SP thanks the University of Padova for hospitality.
- Fryer, C.L., Belczynski, K., Wiktorowicz, G., Dominik, M., Kalogera, V., Holz, D.: arXiv:1110.1726 (2011)
- Haensel, P., Potekhin, A.Y., Yakovlev, D.G. (eds.): Neutron Stars 1: Equation of State and Structure. Astrophys. Space Sci. Library, vol. 326 (2007) Google Scholar
- Rudie, G.C., Fesen, R.A.: In: Rev. Mex. Astron. Astrofis. Revista Mexicana de Astronomia y Astrofisica Conference Series, vol. 27, vol. 30, p. 90 (2007). arXiv:0704.2780
- Winkler, P.F., Tuttle, J.H., Kirshner, R.P., Irwin, M.J.: In: Roger, R.S., Landecker, T.L. (eds.) IAU Colloq. 101: Supernova Remnants and the Interstellar Medium, p. 65 (1988) Google Scholar
- Zhang, S.-N., Xie, Y.: arXiv:1110.3154 (2011)
- Zhang, S.-N., Xie, Y.: arXiv:1202.1123 (2012)