Stability of the photogravitational restricted three-body problem with variable masses
- 128 Downloads
This paper investigates the stability of equilibrium points in the restricted three-body problem, in which the masses of the luminous primaries vary isotropically in accordance with the unified Meshcherskii law, and their motion takes place within the framework of the Gylden–Meshcherskii problem. For the autonomized system, it is found that collinear and coplanar points are unstable, while the triangular points are conditionally stable. It is also observed that, in the triangular case, the presence of a constant κ, of a particular integral of the Gylden–Meshcherskii problem, makes the destabilizing tendency of the radiation pressures strong. The stability of equilibrium points varying with time is tested using the Lyapunov Characteristic Numbers (LCN). It is seen that the range of stability or instability depends on the parameter κ. The motion around the equilibrium points L i (i=1,2,…,7) for the restricted three-body problem with variable masses is in general unstable.
KeywordsCelestial mechanics Variable masses
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chetaev, N.G.: Stability of Motion. GITTL, Moscow (1955) Google Scholar
- Gel’fgat, B.E.: Modern Problems of Celestial Mechanics and Astrodynamics. Nauka, Moscow (1973), p. 7 Google Scholar
- Lyapunov, A.M.: A General Problem of Stability of Motion. Acad. Sci. USSR, Moscow (1956) Google Scholar
- Maklin, J.G.: Theory of the Stability of Motion. Editorial URSS, Moscow (2004) Google Scholar
- Meshcherskii, I.V.: Studies on the Mechanics of Bodies of Variable Mass. GITTL, Moscow (1949) Google Scholar
- Meshcherskii, I.V.: Works on the Mechanics of Bodies of Variable Mass. GITTL, Moscow (1952) Google Scholar
- Minglibaev, M.J.: Questions of Celestial Mechanics and Stellar Dynamics. Nauka Kazakh SSR, Alma-Ata (1990), p. 36 Google Scholar
- Orlov, A.A.: Astron. J. Acad. Sci. Moscow 16, 52 (1939) Google Scholar
- Poincaré, H.: Leçons sur les Hypothésis Cosmogoniques (1911) Google Scholar
- Singh, J.: Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. 32, 335 (2003) Google Scholar
- Szebehely, V.: Theory of Orbits: The Restricted Problem of Three Bodies. Academic Press, San Diego (1967a) Google Scholar